UK Head of HR
UK Head of HR – Paper and Recycling Divisions
Highly competitive Salary Package
DS Smith is a multi-sited manufacturing organisation, a market leader in Europe and with specialist sites worldwide, employing around 26,000 people and operating across 35 countries
The UK Head of HR – Paper and Recycling Divisions, is a newly created role within a country based reporting structure. The UK operations incorporate a substantial paper mill, the Recycling Head Office and 10 depots across the UK together with a logistics operation that operates more than 100 vehicles. 1,000 are employed by the Paper & Recycling Divisions in the UK. Up to 3 days per week will be spent at the Kemsley Mill in Kent with the remaining days spent at Recycling Division’s head office in Caerphilly, South Wales, and elsewhere in the UK.
The Head of HR will play a key role on the UK Paper & Recycling management teams in developing the HR strategy, structure and functions for the Paper and Recycling operations in support of the Paper & Recycling Division’s strategic direction and goals. It will involve articulating the HR plan to the UK management teams in addition to making a strategic and commercial, people related contribution to the success of the Paper and Recycling operations in the UK.
- Understand DS Smith’s vision, goals, organisational targets and timescales and how these are enacted within the Paper and Recycling Divisions.
- Participate in the development of the UK Paper and Recycling operation’s plans and programmes as a strategic partner but particularly from the perspective of impact on people.
- Work closely with the Operational Management Teams and HR Team to identify capabilities, issues and cost implications.
- Translate the strategic and tactical business plans for the UK into HR strategic and operational plans.
- Develop the HR and related cost structure within Group guidelines to ensure it is ideally positioned to deliver on strategic, operational and tactical responsibilities.
- Evaluate performance and review existing resourcing, performance management, learning and development, talent management and succession planning programmes, establishing key metrics.
- Design and lead the introduction of consistent systems, processes and tools designed to deliver the agreed people strategy and approach.
- Continually assess and improve the quality of all programmes and practices against best practice.
- Work closely with the Operational Management Teams and HR team to develop and implement plans to drive performance across the UK operations.
- Facilitate the development of the Operational Management Teams and assist executives to develop their own high performing teams.
- Lead and motivate the HR team to deliver performance in line with KPI’s.
- Refine and continue to develop strategies to source, attract and on-board top talent.
- Work closely and develop the relationship with the UK Shared Service Centre to ensure optimum levels of service.
- Manage the relationship with the UK Works Council (JCC).
- Champion and demonstrate the value of drawing on the talents of a diverse workforce in order to deliver the Divisions’ goals.
The successful candidate will have an extensive senior HR background gained in a multi-sited manufacturing or engineering organisation.
- Proven, progressive HR experience which demonstrates developing and maintaining the strategic direction of HR and the business while driving change, performance and implementing HR programmes and initiatives.
- The ability to think strategically, with vision and creativity, and an ability to align people to the business agenda. This will be combined with a passion for delivering results and driving operational excellence through a ‘hands on’ approach.
- Will have a notable record of leading people and developing and implementing talent management, learning & development and resourcing strategies in multi-sited organisations.
- Will have successful experience developing people related initiatives and teams while making the most of existing programmes already established across the business.
- Possess the personal and professional qualities to establish quickly creditability and respect. Able to build strong relationships with and influence the senior leadership team and managers throughout the UK operations.
- Will have a strong intellect and take personal responsibility for personal and function performance.
- Able to manage multiple work streams and with a strong bias for action, a keen sense of urgency and the ability to support and roll out projects across a multi-sited international organisation.
- Strong business and commercial acumen with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong relationship building skills with both internal and external suppliers.
- Excellent change, project management and organisational skills with an ability to deal effectively with competing priorities.
- Will have the cultural agility to work with diverse teams and employee groups.
- Will possess the analytical capability to collate, review and report on people related key KPI’s and performance against project plans.
- Must have UK Works Council experience.
- Must be able to undertake frequent national and occasional international travel.
Please apply in confidence with your CV indicating salary expectations to: Stephen Ward, Arlington Consultants Group:
Apply for UK Head of HR
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly