Senior HR Advisor
The Careers & Enterprise Company is an employer-led organisation that has been set up to inspire and prepare young people for the fast-changing world of work. Its role is to act as a catalyst in the fragmented landscape of careers and enterprise, supporting programmes that work, filling gaps in provision and ensuring coverage across the country.
In its first year of operation it has focused on improving links between employers and schools and colleges. It has established a network of coordination (Enterprise Adviser Network) across England in partnership with Local Enterprise Partnerships, with over 100 full time Enterprise Coordinators, each working with clusters of 20 schools and colleges. More than 1,600 school and colleges are now part of the network – nearly 50% of all secondary schools. We have over 1,400 Enterprise Advisers - business volunteers who have signed up to provide counsel to individual schools and colleges. The purpose of the Enterprise Adviser Network is to create powerful, lasting connections between local businesses and the schools and colleges in their area.
The Company has committed to investing £20m in proven programmes to connect schools and businesses, unlocking a further £15m in match funding. Funding is primarily directed to geographic areas in the country most in need of support – the 'Cold spots' – and 450,000 young people will benefit.
Christine Hodgson, chairman of Capgemini, was named as chairman and it was established as a CIC, independent of government. Other board members include Lord Young, former Enterprise Adviser to the Prime Minister, Steve Holliday, former Chief Executive of National Grid plc, Brian Lightman, former General Secretary of ASCL and Dame Julia Cleverdon DCVO, CBE, Vice President of Business in the Community and Special Adviser to The Prince’s Charities. The company is led by Claudia Harris, CEO and former partner at McKinsey
As the Senior HR Advisor, you will play a crucial role in supporting the Head of HR to build, scale and deliver the next phase of the organisation’s growth to enable us to bring together schools, colleges, employers, and providers to build local networks that deliver well-evidenced careers support for young people. You will support the Head of HR to deliver all human resources elements of the organisation from recruitment, to policy, to employee engagement, to remuneration. You will build a high performing team through recruitment and selection, induction, learning and development and organisational culture. You will run day-to-day operations of HR ensuring all policies and procedures are in place to support the team, payroll is managed, JDs are scoped and up-to-date, contracts are in place and there is a strong programme of employee engagement.
Co-ordinate recruitment throughout the company, working with the team to recruit and retain a diverse, high performing team. Build relationships with recruiters, draft briefs, JDs, set up interviews, provide briefs to teams and candidates, provide timely feedback and join interviews where necessary.
- Ensure all potential hires have a positive experience in the recruitment process, building the company brand as an employer of choice. Track and measure data on applications and successful appointment, to enable future decisions to ensure effective and value for money campaigns.
- Build, deliver and measure an appropriate employee engagement and recognition plan which supports the company’s ethos and ambition to prepare young people for the world of work and develops the teams understanding of the business.
- Support the overall development of talent with the organisation, for example through learning and development and mentoring offerings.
- Support the delivery of a robust performance management offer, including training and support for reviewers and reviewees.
- Ensure all HR policies and procedures are developed, up-to-date and legally compliant.
- Provide day-to-day advice to line managers on human resources matters: management of staff, payroll, remuneration, maternity and paternity leave cases, performance and grievance issues, appraisals and probation.
- Support the Head of HR to Develop and implement an overarching HR strategy in line with the company strategy and business plan, which supports the needs of the business and is flexible as the organisation grows and develops.
- Provide information and reports on staff data as required.
- Be prepared to undertake HR administration and housekeeping tasks as required.
- Undertake ad hoc projects and activities to support the company’s overall aim of preparing young people for the world of work
Qualifications & Experience Required:
- Proven track record of recruiting diverse and high performing teams.
- Previous experience of designing and implementing HR policies and process across an organisation and coaching others through the implementation of these.
- Strong working knowledge of employment law issues and the ability to apply these to a variety of situations using a pragmatic and common sense approach.
- Experience of supporting or leading on L&D and employee engagement is desirable.
- Proven track record of strong stakeholder management, with ability to quickly establish credibility and build strong working relationships within the company, with candidates and with recruiters.
- Strong HR generalist across all disciplines.
- Experience of working in busy and fast moving startup or SME environment would be desirable.
- CIPD qualification up to Level 5 or equivalent experience is highly desirable.
Skills & Our Core Competencies:
- Determined and tenacious, persistent and focused on the end results and quality of output.
- Collaborative and good at building relationships. Ability to quickly build trust and understanding within the business to deliver results for the company.
- Excellent communicator with good interpersonal skills, confident working with, influencing and leading individuals at all levels, able to handle complex and difficult situations with thought and confidence and explain detailed information to staff in a straightforward way.
- Flexible and adaptable, able to work in a fast-paced, high profile environment, deal with ambiguity and takes a broad interest in the success and development of the company and the talent within it.
- Displays integrity - is sincere in own behaviour and in dealings with others
To apply please submit your CV and Cover Letter (no more than 2 pages for each) below by clicking Apply and for more information please go to https://www.careersandenterprise.co.uk/who-we-are/work-for-us