HR Business Partner
BT Technology, Service and Operations overview
BT’s Technology, Service and Operations is a business where brilliant teams can deliver what our customers need. In TSO, our goal is to grow in a sustainable, profitable way and in a world where customers are demanding more and more from their technology, we need to provide the kind of services, network and experience that wows them. As BT’s technology powerhouse, our ambition is to create brilliant converged services over the best network. We know this will put the market-facing units in a position where they can always delight our customers. By providing an effortless experience we’ll stand-out from the competition, making us all feel proud of our role in the best talented technology team. Within TSO we have our exciting Research and Innovation team, IT, Mobile, TV and Broadband along with many other business areas and with our goals and ambitions it really is a hugely exciting part of the BT business.
Within TSO, there is a diversity of cultures both organisation and national. TSO has circa 12,900 people in over 30 countries, supported by 16,400 sub-con/third parties and works with 6 market facing units. TSO is present in 300+ UK sites and has 732 official homeworkers (5.7%). This includes 338 people who have TUPE transferred from EE Ltd, and over 650 EE Ltd people in Mobile. The TSO population covers a range of employee groups – from field engineers to world leading technologists.
The HR Business Partner works with the HR leadership team to support the delivery of the overall business unit ambitions. He/she works brilliantly with business partners, HR Services (HRS) and the Centre’s of Expertise (CoE’s) to support HR strategy, policy and process.
The HR Business Partner provides good HR guidance and delivers the best outcomes for the business unit they support. He/she will manage and deliver a mixture of strategic and tactical plans to implement BT’s people strategy and support the overall business plan.
Held to account for:
- To support and implement appropriate initiatives of the people plan to support the business unit goals.
- To improve capability, performance and talent and leadership in the business area in line with the business unit goals.
- To work with alongside others across HR to support the delivery of the people plan and operational HR activities within the unit including; recruitment and development, performance management, employee relations, change management and resource planning
- To support line mangers to deliver the right engagement outcomes
Key accountabilities (5-7):
- People Strategy to underpin business unit ambitions: Supports delivery of the people plan to enhance the success of the business unit. Provides HR guidance to line managers.
- HR Strategy: Understands the people and commercial needs of the business and works with others across HR to support delivery of the strategy within LoB.
- Culture, Values & Engagement: Supports managers in shaping and delivering their people engagement plans.
- High performing Teams: Guides and develops line managers on strategies to support and mitigate people-related risks and high performance.
- Skills and Location Strategy: Supports the LoB strategy and plans to achieve the right people in the right place at the right time.
- HR Effectiveness: Manages HR activities such as recruitment, resourcing, absence, performance, and employee relations in conjunction with matrixed specialist HR teams to deliver the people plan and strategy
Core competencies, knowledge and experience
- Builds very strong relationships: can partner managers and other stakeholders to form trusted working relationships.
- Begin and ends with the customer - personally role models that customers are the reason why we have a business; places the achievement of excellent customer solutions at the heart of the organisation
- Making change happen - can initiate change to improve the business unit and develops simple, practical, pragmatic solutions to address business needs
- Handles and difficult situations with thought and confidence; role models honest and respectful feedback; strong at managing multiple stakeholders
- Thinks and acts commercially: good analytical skills, and commercial awareness. Understands the agenda of the business.
- Data Analytics: has curiosity to search for and gather data to formulate business insight and solutions.
- Excellent collaborator: has a track record of working brilliantly as part of a team
- HR Mastery –good technical HR knowledge and it’s practical application