Training Associates Manager
Training Associates Manager
44,000 - £48,000 pro rata
Part time – 28 hours per week, flexible on days worked
We’re the CIPD — the professional body for HR and people development. We are the voice of a worldwide community of 140,000 members committed to championing better work and working lives. We’ve been setting the benchmark for excellence in people and organisation development for more than 100 years, helping members build their professional expertise and organisations build their HR and leadership capability.
We have an opportunity for a Training Associate Manager to join the Organisation Assessment & CPD team on a permanent basis. We currently work with over 120 HR and L&D professionals who are external associates, delivering our courses, qualifications and consultancy services. We’re looking for someone to manage this external group to ensure we have capable and effective associates ready to deliver – this includes sourcing and recruiting associates, developing and engaging them, and quality assuring and coaching as needed.
You’ll need to have a big picture approach in understanding the business needs of our clients and customers, but be hands-on and operational in your work. You’ll have a background in L&D, hold real credibility with senior HR and L&D professionals, and be able to have difficult conversations if the need arises. You’ll be up to date in L&D practice, and be able to utilise your excellent network of trainers, designers and consultants. Above all, you’ll be an outstanding critical thinker, able to absorb lots of information, and get to the root causes of situations. You’ll question and challenge the status quo, and take a pragmatic, common sense approach. You’ll also be positive and fun to work with!
- Develop excellent insights into client and customer needs, in order to plan for the skills and capabilities needed in the associate team
- Monitor turnover of our associates and where there are skills or capability risks / gaps in the team
- Source and recruit all external expertise for delivery, design, tutoring, marking and consultancy
- Develop and utilise your external networks across universities, business schools and other networks to source expertise as needed
- Lead the induction and management of all associates
- Create a sustainable approach to developing and engaging our associates – this may include designing and delivering events such as webinars, FTF events and workshops
- Develop and put in place a robust programme of quality assurance
- Lead on the management of performance issues which need to be addressed, and support other teams to manage associate performance where required
- Ensure the right consultancy skills are available in the group to deliver our client consultancy services
Knowledge, skills & experience
- Critical thinking – quickly absorb lots of information, and recognise what questions to ask to understand the root causes of issues
- Situational judgement – develop pragmatic, common sense solutions to root causes of situations, taking into account multiple factors such as culture, process, behaviour, business needs
- Excellent external relationship building – able to create positive working relationships and take a mature, relationship-based approach in dealing with any issues
- High level of influencing and interpersonal skills
- Experience in navigating complex relationships internally and externally
- Comprehensive L&D experience – must hold credibility with our external associates
- Up to date with HR and L&D thinking and practice
- Have existing networks and relationships outside of CIPD to source HR and L&D expertise (for example, through business schools or universities)
- Exceptionally customer focused – doing the right thing, and pushing back where required
- Positive, can-do, hands-on approach
- Experience of managing external associates (desirable)
- Professional membership of the CIPD (desirable)
- Experience of working as a freelancer (such as a freelance trainer or HR consultant) (desirable)
- Experience of working in a client-facing environment (desirable)
Please submit your CV and cover letter as part of your application and note that this vacancy closes on Friday 17 August 2017.
Please ensure your covering letter includes an example of how you’ve developed a pragmatic solution to a people relationship issue, and what you to do keep up to date with the latest L&D thinking.
There has never been a more interesting or important time to join us. We offer a friendly and stimulating culture and a wide range of professional development opportunities and benefits such as 28 days’ holiday, free two-course lunch and flexible working hours.
If this role describes you and your career aspirations, then click APPLY.
CIPD: valuing everyone as an individual!
The CIPD define diversity as valuing everyone as an individual – we value all our employees, customers and clients as people. Harnessing these differences creates a productive environment in which everybody feels valued, where their talents are fully utilised and organisational and personal goals are met. We are committed to employment practices that promote diversity and inclusion in employment regardless of age, disability, gender, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership status, pregnancy and maternity status, race, religion or belief.
Please note, we reserve the right to close or extend this position depending on application numbers. Therefore we would urge candidates to submit an application as soon as possible