Assistant Director of HR
What are we looking for?
The Ascension Island Government is looking for an Assistant Director of HR from February/March 2018 to lead our small HR function and to complete our HR transformation. Over the past 18 months we have introduced an HR Information System, an e-recruitment platform, launched a revised appraisal and bonus scheme and embarked upon an ambitious project to modernise our 90 year old employment legislation. We are looking for someone to build on this progress, helping us to embed these improvements and strengthen our culture. You will report to the Director of Resources, work closely with the Senior Management team and have direct line management responsibility for 2 HR staff.
This is a unique opportunity to influence how we work and to tackle some unique challenges. You will need to build effective relationships with a wide range of stakeholders on the island and deliver the highest standard of customer service. You will need to be a self-starter, resilient and able to live and work in a remote island community whilst remaining enthusiastic in the face of the challenges that this brings.
Some of the key activities you will need to work on include:
- Review existing HR policies, systems and procedures and help embed our work so far and to reflect the revised employment legislation (once enacted)
- Manage and advise on employee relations matters (equipping members of the HR team to assist with this)
- Be the driving force behind a leadership and management development programme to enhance the capability of managers across the organisation.
- Complete consultations on the revision of terms and conditions and the Island’s employment legislation.
What are we offering?
This post is offered as a two year fixed term contract with a salary of £27,500 per year (taxable in Ascension Island), together with the following benefits valued at up to £19,000 per year:
- A food allowance dependent on status (either £3,028 if single or £6,054 if accompanied)
- One mid-contract return journey to the country of recruitment/residence
- Rent free housing, with electricity and water allowances
- Relocation costs for your personal effects, including the shipment of a vehicle
- Free primary medical and dental care
- A gratuity payable on the successful completion of a 2 year contract
To be successful you will be a qualified HR professional with a proven track record of successful HR transformation, a strong commitment to customer service and leading HR policy development at a senior management level. You should be experienced leading staff engagement initiatives and be able to demonstrate excellent “softer” people skills alongside employee relations, change management and people development skills. You must be familiar with the use of HR and IT systems. Experience managing Employment Tribunal legislation is desirable.
How to apply:
Please apply online by visiting www.ascension-island.gov.ac/working-here.
Closing date for applications: 5pm Thursday 29 December 2017.
Interviews will be held via Skype in week commencing 8 January 2018. Shortlisted candidates may be asked to complete a short task prior to interview between 4 and 8 January which you may need to set time aside to complete.
Need more information?
If you would like to learn more or to arrange an informal discussion about the role, please contact Jamie Manson, Director of Resources at email@example.com