In March the Elmhurst Foundation, a local charity, became the new guardians of Combe Grove Manor. This beautiful Georgian Manor house with hotel and spa facilities, is surrounded by 76 acres of natural woodland estate on the edge of Combe Down.
We have plans to evolve Combe Grove into a destination for health and wellbeing, employing and training local apprentices in each area of the business and forging strong links with our local community. We wish to work in harmony with nature and are working towards becoming as environmentally-friendly and sustainable as we can possibly be. This includes seeking out ways for our apprentices to come to work using the greenest possible methods of transport. We encourage and reward the use of public transport, car sharing and cycling and will soon be installing electric car chargers in our grounds.
Job Summary and Main Purpose.
- To manage Personnel Team and Service
- To manage the introduction of 90 enhanced Apprenticeships over the coming 4 years and their perpetual provision establishing Combe Grove as a centre of excellence and the Apprenticeship centre of choice. Including liaising with local partners and schools and coordinating with the apprentices’ mentors, managers, deputy managers and supervisors.
- To manage integration and effective use of Thomas Internationals’ psychometric and aptitude system.
- Recruitment and personal development of highly effective teams.
- Team building of efficient teams with very high standards of professionalism, performance and discipline.
- Working with the Director, General Manager and Personnel Adviser to assist in the development of a comprehensive, effective and responsive Personnel function and service for Combe Grove.
- To manage the effective delivery of all operational Personnel services including training and development. Using Fourth Software for reporting on absence, hours worked, holidays and salaries.
- Working with Team managers for professional services provision and efficiency.
- To manage the introduction of 90 enhanced Apprenticeships over the coming 4 years and their perpetual provision establishing Combe Grove as a centre of excellence and the Apprenticeship centre of choice.
- To develop and manage meaningful relationships with our preferred training providers ensuring the highest possible standard of qualification in each discipline.
- To develop and manage, in conjunction with each team manager, meaningful relationships with our local partners interested in employing our apprentices once qualified ensuring the best possible career prospects and remunerations.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities
Management and Leadership
- The Management or ‘Master’ roles at Combe Grove have a dual purpose, both managing their team and their apprentices. This requires a great deal of experience. Our charity focuses on local opportunity for local people both masters and apprentices and our Masters are likely to be mature with many year experience, local to Bath and definitely with a strong desire to work for a local charity and to share their extensive experience.
- Consult with our Personnel Adviser on technical matters
- Lead on highest standards and discipline of personnel practice actively reflecting the vision and values of Combe Grove and the Elmhurst Foundation.
- Manage and support the Personnel team delivering professionalism and excellence. Enabling each Team manager to rely and be guided by the Personnel team.
- Develop, manage and review professional and effective Standard Operating Procedures, SOPS, for the Personnel team ensuring best practice, cost control, efficiency and professionalism throughout the business.
- Manage and develop in conjunction with the Health and Safety Manager, the Shield Health and Safety manual and the reporting requirements of the Shield system.
- Manage individuals’ personal development to build highly effective teams delivering best performance as part of a highly effective whole.
- To manage the Personnel apprentices, working with both the apprentices and the training provider to ensure the highest level of achievement all round.
- To manage and review team development and best practice enabling the vision to develop and the full Apprenticeship programme to come into being, creating 90 Apprenticeships by March 2022 across 12 disciplines.
- To manage recruitment providing a highly professional and comprehensive service for the business, our apprentices and internal and external applicants. Sourcing the best candidate through to an effective and professional introduction to
- To manage the development of the Personnel Information system including Fourth to ensure discipline, clarity and efficiency both in the personnel team and throughout the business.
- Introduce and manage the Thomas International psychometric profiling system to support selection and team building.
- To manage the development of the Apprentice training and development programme to achieve excellence and innovation.
- To manage the training and development needs from Personnel Development Reviews feedback from team managers for Combe Grove team members and volunteers, including exploring ways to provide and deliver training using both internal and external resources.
- To manage all Personnel policies, procedures and documentation ensuring that these are up to date with
all legislative, regulatory and good practice requirements and effectively communicated to all team managers.
- To manage all matters relating to the contractual relationship with employees, ensuring that these are properly implemented through consultation and agreement confirmed and recorded.
- To advise and support managers and their teams in the interpretation of conditions of service and policies building inclusiveness and trust.
- Manage investigations, disciplinary and grievance matters with the Personnel Adviser if required; coaching and supporting both managers and their teams through the processes.
- Support and coach team managers on performance management issues and processes.
- In conjunction with Marketing produce regular team updates and newsletters, communicate informative, developmental, motivational, interesting articles monthly specifically for the rapid development of team managers and their deputies and to motivate and engage the whole team with our overall progress towards our objectives.
- To manage change management programmes as necessary to ensure that all requirements for revised job descriptions, team consultation and contractual changes are affected in time and robustly.
- To research, develop and deliver agreed projects, relevant to the role and the overall aims of the team strategy.