Head of HR
Date: July 2018
Position: Head of Human Resources
Responsible To: Director of Corporate Services
Responsible For: Responsible for managing the HR function on both a strategic and operational basis, including the management of the HR Team.
To take a lead role in:
- Upholding and promoting the company’s values:
The dignity of every human being
Our inclusivity and accessibility
The diversity of the services we deliver
Our capacity to take risks to meet need
Our independence and autonomy
Our entrepreneurial spirit
Our charitable status and heritage
The talent and contribution of all our people
With the Director to:
- Implement and review an agreed HR Strategy; fully supporting the achievement of corporate objectives, including the recruitment, selection and retention of high quality staff.
- Draft and review HR policies and procedures, such that they meet legal and organisational requirements, introducing and monitoring best practice and ensuring consistency in application.
- Participate in the Enterprise and Innovation Group, to identify, implement and review opportunities.
- Provide relevant management information reports to the Leadership Team and Board of Trustees in relation to HR issues.
- Ensure that all managers are kept informed of any changes to employment law or policy.
- On an ongoing basis, in consultation with Directors, ensure that Local Solutions’ staffing structure and individual roles, responsibilities and contractual terms are suited to business needs.
- Manage Local Solutions’ Absence Strategy, specifically welfare visits, occupational health procedures and recommend procedures to reduce absenteeism and turnover.
- Monitor and authorise records of HR transactions, such as starters forms, internal changes and leavers forms.
- Co-ordinate re-assessment procedures for quality awards, such as IiP, the Disability Confident Symbol and other external accreditation.
- Manage and periodically review the effective running of key HR processes and the administrative systems which support them, including recruitment, contract administration, attendance management and the staff development and performance review system.
- Provide prompt and sensitive HR and employee relations advice and practical support to managers and staff and effectively co-ordinate casework management when required, including Transferring of Undertakings Protection of Employment (TUPE).
- Lead the management of Employment Tribunal claims, including liaison with solicitors, collation of evidence and settlement agreements.
- Maintain excellent employee relations with Employee Forum and Trade Unions, using effective consultation and negotiating arrangements.
- Oversee compliance with GDPR for the company and work closely with Local Solutions’ Data Protection Officer.
- Take the lead on the company’s Gender Pay Gap reporting.
- Design, deliver and evaluate learning and development activities to meet business needs.
- Implement a culture of positive volunteering with the organisation.
- Make an active and effective contribution to the Local Solutions corporate policy, direction and management.
- Provide clear leadership and direction across the organisation inspiring and motivating others to achieve, by generating trust and confidence.
Strategy development and review
To develop, and regularly review, Local Solutions’ Business Plan on the full range of opportunities open to Local Solutions to develop and deliver a wide range of services that in conjunction with other strategies will make life better for the people and places Local Solutions is here to support.
To develop challenging and realistic targets against which Local Solutions measures its progress in delivering its Business Plan.
Developing partnerships and working with others
To take a lead in developing and maintaining:
- Local Solutions’ profile as a strong and innovative social enterprise organisation with a reputation for delivery – and, in so doing, promoting its role and achievements.
- Strong and effective relationships within the HR team which have an important role to play in helping to plan and deliver the Local Solutions Business Plan.
- Strong and effective relationships with Local Solutions’ partners for delivering its Business Plan.
- Keeping the Director fully informed on progress towards achievement of the Business Plan and key factors influencing it.
To develop, maintain and ensure the effective operation of systems designed to appraise the potential costs, benefits and risks of all planned investment designed to support the delivery of Local Solutions’ Business Plan.
To develop, maintain and ensure the effective operation of a policy and procedural framework based on a full understanding of the financial, statutory, regulatory and other risks associated with delivering Local Solutions’ Business Plan and associated programmes.
To develop, maintain and ensure the effective operation of systems to monitor – and report to appropriate levels of detail and audiences on – Local Solutions’ performance in:
- Delivering its Business Plan
- Meeting any internal or external demands for information to demonstrate compliance with targets, standards, statutory, regulatory or other requirements.
Managing Teams and Staff
To ensure that the HR team has the necessary level of staffing resources and skills to carry out their responsibilities effectively and the support they need to carry them out effectively.
To ensure that:
- Meetings regularly take place between staff to agree plans of work and to review people’s progress in meeting their roles and responsibilities
- Plans are put in place and implemented to address any issues that are identified in these meetings – including the provision of any training or other support that is required
- Where necessary, issues are reported upwards to ensure that action is planned, and its implementation monitored.
- All members of every team are kept informed on relevant issues and consulted as appropriate.
- There is effective management of the team, with appropriate provision or succession in place.
- A climate is maintained which attracts, retains and motivates a diverse team of quality, resilient employees.
Budget and Finance
- Work with the Director of Corporate Services and Finance Director in preparing annual budget and see that Local Solutions operates within budget guidelines.
- Work with Directors to ensure staffing structures are financially viable and any necessary changes are made in line with current legislation.
- To play a full role in interpreting and understanding the changing environment Local Solutions operates in and effectively using this information in developing Local Solutions’ vision and plans for realising it.
- To carry out any other duties appropriate to this post, as necessary or as requested.
- To promote and represent Local Solutions at local and national meetings and with other related organisations as appropriate
- To ensure that all activities within area of responsibility comply with the Health and Safety Policy.
- To implement Local Solutions’ Equality and Diversity Policies and Strategies ensuring that all practices and procedures are in accordance with good equality and diversity practice and that staff are aware of equality and diversity considerations in respect of their duties.
CHARTERED CIPD MEMBER AND QUALIFIED TO CIPD LEVEL 7 (OR WORKING TOWARDS)
FIVE YEARS’ EXPERIENCE OF HR LEADERSHIP
MANAGING A BUSY HR TEAM
MANAGING & IMPLEMENTING CHANGE (INCLUDING E.G. TUPE)
EXPERIENCE OF PROVIDING EXPERT ADVICE ON HR ISSUES
EXPERIENCE OF MANAGING EMPLOYEE RELATIONS
EXPERIENCE OF IMPLEMENTING AND REVIEWING HR STRATEGIES, POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
EXPERIENCE OF MANAGING THE RECRUITMENT, SELECTION AND RETENTION OF HIGH QUALITY STAFF
EXPERIENCE OF IMPROVING AND DELIVERING QUALITY SERVICES AND SYSTEMS
EXTENSIVE EXPERIENCE OF DEVELOPING PEOPLE
SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE
EXCELLENT KNOWLEDGE OF APPROPRIATE LEGISLATION AND QUALITY STANDARDS
GOOD AT MANAGING MULTIPLE PRIORITIES
EXCELLENT LEADERSHIP AND MANAGEMENT SKILLS
EXCELLENT PEOPLE MANAGEMENT SKILLS
EXCELLENT LIAISON SKILLS
EXCELLENT WRITTEN & VERBAL SKILLS
EXCELLENT PRESENTATIONAL SKILLS
GOOD IT SKILLS
ESSENTIAL CAR DRIVER USER
JOB HOLDER.................................................. DATE......................................
REPORTING TO............................................. DATE.......................................
CLOSING DATE: 31 JULY 2018