Assistant Office Manager
Thompsons Solicitors Scotland is a distinctive law firm dealing with personal injury and employment law cases. We only ever act for injured people and not for employers or big businesses.
As Assistant Office Manager you will assist with the smooth running of the office including the HR function, payroll and facilities management.
Key Responsibilities and Duties will include:-
- Assist with the administration of key employment processes including new starters, probation letters and leaver notification.
- Assist with preparation of offer letters, employee contracts and other HR written correspondence including employment references.
- Assist in the preparation of payroll, time sheets, expenses, etc.
- Assist in maintaining the employee HR files, ensuring ID checks have been carried out for new starters and original signed copies are kept on file.
- Assist with the recruitment process, liaising with agencies and candidates and interviewing prospective candidates.
- Responsible for the induction process, including coordinating & carrying out induction meetings, desk set-up and liaising with IT.
- Responsible for holiday calculations for staff and the upkeep of electronic Flexplanner.
- Monitoring staff work output and highlighting any issues where appropriate.
- Assist in ensuring there is adequate resources in each team and monitor accordingly.
- Responsible for trainee correspondence including preparation of training contracts within appropriate timescales.
- Assist with facilities management and reporting issues to building manager/managing agents where appropriate
- Assist with the administration of students, work experience candidates and monitoring workload where appropriate, this may include evening students.
- Assist in booking events and meetings including diary management.
- Assist in ensuring that all health & safety training is completed and work station risk assessments are carried out.
- Assist with reviewing and updating risk assessments.
- Knowledge and understanding of the firm's policies and their practical application in order to provide advice and support to all staff.
- Advise on good practice and legislative changes to assist in updating policies and procedures.
- Assist with a whole range of employee relation issues as and when they arise.
- Have a thorough understanding of HR law in particularly relating to contracts, terms and conditions, discrimination, maternity / paternity, dismissal processes, grievances, etc.
- Assist in the administration of appraisal procedure and co-ordinating meetings with relevant supervisor.
- Assist with absence management, carrying out return to work interviews and ensuring all paperwork completed.
- Knowledge and understanding of GDPR and assist in ensuring the firm is compliant.
- Responsibility for GDPR breaches log, recording and reporting to DPO, where necessary.
- Assisting with archiving project and thereafter ensuring archiving procedures are maintained.
- Pay invoices and ensured posted on accounts system timeously.
- Assist in negotiating contracts for services, utilities, etc. when due for renewal.
- Assist in the refurbishment of the office to ensure staff are able to continue working efficiently and comfortably during this period of disruption.
- Assist with any other duties which may arise during the course of running the office.
- Responsibility to provider cover for PA to Partners when required including holiday cover.
- Transcription of dictation including minutes and reports.
- Provide full cover when office manager is on holiday.
- This list is not exhaustive and other duties may be required.
Person Specification – experience and attributes required:
- Solid experience of working in a busy office environment and HR department preferably in a legal or professional services environment
- Knowledge and experience of employment law and good practice
- Proven ability to put forward ideas for improvements
- Excellent communication both written and verbal
- Confident individual with a proactive attitude
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, demonstrating professionalism in all dealings
- A self-starter, able to demonstrate high levels of initiative and motivation, but also work closely with other team members and displaying trust and loyalty
- Excellent organisational skills with the ability to manage and prioritise work load effectively.
- Proven ability to deal with confidential matters and with discretion
- Must be able to multi-task and keep calm under pressure
- Ability to chase up outstanding issues and see things through to the end
- Good team player
- A good working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word and databases
- Excellent attention to detail
- Excellent, proven organisational skills
- Flexible approach to work and willing to take on additional responsibilities as required.
- The flexibility to work outside normal office hours as may be required from time-to-time
- CIPD qualified.
In return, we at Thompsons can offer you:-
- A stimulating environment to work in;
- Career development;
- A competitive salary;
- Excellent Pension
- Employee Benefit scheme
To apply, please click 'Apply'
Apply for Assistant Office Manager
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly