Hours: Part-time - 16 hours per week
Be part of the Macular Society’s mission to cure the biggest cause of sight loss in the UK – macular disease. We are a fast-growing research and support charity. We need comprehensive, strategic HR advice as we embark on a new strategy that will see our income triple in the next three to five years. Reporting directly to the CEO, this important post holder will help us achieve our aims by ensuring we have the skilled and motivated staff we need to succeed.
- Work closely with senior and line managers, providing guidance and support on the full range of HR activities in order to ensure a consistent, fair and legal approach to people management.
- Keep up-to-date with legal developments and manage compliance and risk factors.
- Build great working relationships, trust and credibility with employees and managers; answer questions and support employees whenever appropriate.
- Regularly review and update HR policies and practices to comply with best practice and legislation, including health and safety policies.
- Ensure the staff handbook is comprehensive and up-to-date; ensure that managers and staff are aware of the policies and procedures and able to operate them effectively.
- Oversee and manage the organisation’s health and safety policy and procedures.
- Monitor and review the performance appraisal system and continually develop as necessary, ensuring annual appraisals are carried out in a timely manner and followed up.
- Be responsible for compiling employment contracts, job descriptions, person specifications and other employee relevant documentation.
- Work with managers on how to solve any employee problems or issues, ensuring managers comply with disciplinary and grievance procedures. Liaise with external legal advisers where necessary.
- Support the recruitment process as required and carry out interviews for executive and other senior management positions.
- Participate in the implementation of specific projects as directed by the CEO, providing and supporting change management processes.
- Carry out salary benchmarking to provide information for salary/reward decisions made by the Senior Management Team and the Governance and Appointments Panel.
Job specific skills
- Able to provide comprehensive, strategic advice across the full range of HR issues.
- Management of all HR policies including health and safety.
- Educated to degree level or equivalent with a CIPD qualification.
- A strong team player with excellent communication skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and act with discretion and diplomacy.
- Previous relevant experience. A minimum of 3-5 years’ experience as an HR professional, ideally with some of that experience in a stand-alone HR Manager role.
- Proven generalist HR experience and be used to dealing with policies, procedures, recruitment, employee relations and rewards.
- Experience supporting change management processes.
Interview: w/c 20 August 2018, Andover
To apply: please email a CV and a covering letter explaining your motivation for applying and the skills you will bring to the role to.