People Director, Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government (MHCLG)
As part the Executive Team, the most senior leadership team in the department, and part of the Departmental Board with ministers and Non-Executive Directors, this role offers a challenging and stretching opportunity for an experienced HR professional to provide strong and collegiate leadership to the department. It is a particularly exciting time in MHCLG's development as a department, offering the chance to lead and shape people centred change through HR interventions, with a Permanent Secretary and senior team who value HR insights, support and challenge. It is also part of the wider Senior Civil Service HR community (contributing to building a world-class function, comprising around 3,700 people across more than 40 departments and agencies), providing professional leadership for the HR community and leading some aspects of HR work for the Civil Service.
As one of the department’s senior leaders, the person will also be a strong and visible role model for the Civil Service leadership behaviours. These can be found in the Civil Service Leadership Statement available at
As well as being a key leader across Whitehall you will also have a key leadership role in our sectors of housing and local government.
- Lead on the broad range of people related work streams, to support the department to build a flexible and resilient workforce that will deliver our business objectives
- Be the Permanent Secretary’s senior trusted adviser on people and organisational issues, providing challenge and support; and develop the capability of her senior team, including coaching the Directors General
- Be a senior member of the broader Civil Service HR community, participating in its governance, contributing to its development as a profession and supporting the profession in bringing in and bringing on its talent
- Driving forward our ambition on key people issues e.g. diversity and inclusion
Have professional oversight of HR service and key appointments across the MHCLG Group, and having an oversight role in public appointments
- Provide deep and strong expertise in organisational design, development, culture, change and engagement, ensuring that MHCLG has the right design, capability, performance and culture to deliver ministerial priorities, whilst maintaining staff morale, through:
- Enabling excellent leadership of change throughout the department
- Leading the delivery of the People Plan 2018-2020.
- Ensuring that MHCLG attracts and retains talented people from all backgrounds and experience, and is amongst the best across the Civil Service.
This is an ideal role for someone with the appropriate level of professional skill and breadth of experience, as well as the leadership abilities and skills to work successfully at director level and as part of the Executive Team. It is important that candidates are able to demonstrate their motivation for delivering MHCLG’s ministerial agenda through its organisational design and its people. Exposure to, or understanding of, central government, its ambitions for the wider Civil Service workforce; and the relationships and accountabilities between the Civil Service and ministers is also important. We are looking for someone who is passionate about HR and wants to make a difference.
We actively encourage applications both from those inside and outside the Civil Service.
- The stature and personal credibility to quickly secure the confidence and trust of ministers, senior leaders and peers; confident to offer advice, challenge and support
- An inspiring and confident communicator with the ability to establish and maintain strong, influential relationships with a range of people across Whitehall and externally
- The ability to challenge and support across MHCLG in a way that improves the department and its people
- An inclusive, inspiring, confident and empowering leader who is able to provide visible, strong leadership that can motivate, engage and get the best out of diverse teams and develop staff at all levels
- The personal resilience to work under sustained pressure and scrutiny and lead effectively through ambiguity
- Proven experience in leading organisations and a significant HR function, shaping its direction and building high performing, high impact, teams
- Experience of successfully leading and delivering change through people focused interventions at all levels in organisations
- Experience of people strategy development and implementation, firmly anchored in the business drivers of the organisation
- Experience of having operated successfully in a senior HR role and across all HR disciplines, in a complex, fast moving environment
- Exposure to Boards and the way they work and Board level development/facilitation and coaching experience
- Professional HR qualification (CIPD)