HR Manager - Africa & Asia Pacific Area
Are you a senior HR professional with international experience looking for an interesting and rewarding new challenge where you can make a difference?
Would you like to work for a unique, values driven organisation? If so, the Commonwealth War Graves Commission could be for you. We ensure the 1.7 million men and women of the Commonwealth Forces who died in the two world wars will never be forgotten. We care for cemeteries and memorials at 23,000 locations, in 154 countries and our values and aims, laid out in 1917, are as relevant now as they were 100 years ago.
The Commission comprises of 4 different geographical Areas (Africa and Asia Pacific, UK, Mediterranean and Western Europe), with the Head Office and central functions being based in Maidenhead.
Due to internal progression, we are now looking for an HR Manager, with international experience, ideally in Africa and Asia, including India. You will be working with the Area Director for our Africa and Asia Pacific Area (AAPA) and be based in Maidenhead, with a requirement for some overseas travel. The HR Manager will be part of the Area’s management team and will work closely with the Area Director and will oversee all HR matters and advise on HR best practice as well as ensure cohesion with Corporate HR strategy policies and procedures, along with local HR and legislative requirements.
Key responsibilities and accountabilities
- Formulate and advise the Area Director on the full Area HR strategy in support of 1 and 5 year Area Business Plans.
- Advise Area Director on all key/complex strategic HR issues and likely solutions to mitigate.
- Effectively lead the Area HR function and its team members, in order to deliver a comprehensive service to the business unit.
- Develop, execute and manage the full Area employment budget. Monitor monthly employment budget variances and authorise (within agreed delegated budget and financial authority) changes to employee pay/conditions.
- Policy & procedures – Ensure all Area/country policies and procedures are up to date and in line with current employment legislation and practice.
- Employee Relations – make key recommendations to Area Director and management team on challenging casework including absence, disciplinary, grievances, sickness etc. Assess individual or corporate risk associated with casework or people management issues and escalate/report risks to Area Director as appropriate.
- Performance Management – plan coaching on performance management & other people issues/processes. Ensure performance management process is completed for all staff.
- Learning & Development – provide guidance on development for managers and their teams. Lead on preparation and regular updating of training plans, implementing and monitoring /reporting on progress.
- Recruitment & Retention – advise on, formulate and deliver manpower strategy with Area Director and Management Team. Coordinate talent and succession planning; overall responsibility for recruitment activity and campaigns.
- Reward - review pay and benefit packages and ensure local benchmarking is applied for the 16 countries in which staff are directly employed. Where appropriate provide advice about local negotiations.
- Manage and prioritise a full casework and project portfolio, based on both Area and Corporate requirements. Craft business and people solutions. Work closely with the HR Director and HO HR team as and when required to deliver corporate or Area projects.
- Set service standards and key performance indicators for HR services and administration.
- Works with Operations and Finance Manager to develop team members to maximise efficiencies.
- Leads and manages projects, on time and within budget, as required.
- Support Area Director regarding internal and external communications in order to maximise opportunities.
For more information about the role please refer to the CWGC website.