Head of HR & Organisational Development
The Company is a Local Authority Trading Company (LATCo), which is owned by East Lindsey and South Holland District Councils. It provides the services of HR, Finance, ICT, Revenues & Benefits and Customer Contact to the Client Councils, employing 230 FTE employees across the services. The Company is at ‘arms-length’ to its share-holder Councils and operates as a ‘hybrid’ of a commercial business operation with a tailored approach to local delivery.
The Head of HR is the Head of profession for the Company and responsible for the HR and Payroll service delivery and performance to the clients, with 14 FTE employees operating across two sites (Manby & Spalding)
They have line management responsibility of the ‘place based’ HR Managers and overall responsibility for the strategic delivery and performance of HR service delivered by the HR Teams including, Payroll, training and HR admin support. Responsible for the oversight and delivery of the companies ‘people’ transformation plan and development of a corporate people plan which delivers continuous improvement across the company.
They manage the full HR cycle from recruitment to retirement and payroll to pensions. They also provide HR & Payroll services to an outsourced leisure provider. In total the HR service is delivering services to approximately 1000 employees, split across four different organisations.
The Head of HR &OD is a member of the company Senior Leadership Team and provides strategic HR advice and guidance to the companies Chief Executive and Board of Directors as required.
They are responsible for ensuring company is operating in line with legislation and best practice and for developing the ‘people agenda’ which increases the companies profile as an employer of choice from securing apprentices and graduates through to ensuring our current staff are provided with opportunities to secure reward, recognition, training and development
Summary of Key Accountabilities/Responsibilities
- Member of the Senior Leadership Team which is responsible for strategic oversight, delivery, innovation and management across the Company and its services
- To provide the Chief Executive and the Company Board with robust and accurate HR/OD advice and information
- Responsible for the strategic management, improvement and operational delivery of the HR Services Team and functions
- To lead Company HR activity to ensure performance management in partnership with the client Councils and across company services
- To provide the strategic HR advice for transformation across the Company and its services
- To ensure Company and Council compliance and good practice in all HR practices
- To develop and maintain accurate HR/organisational profiling across services to define costs and deliver efficiencies and improvement
- Responsible for developing and maintaining a robust HR control framework including HR and Payroll systems to support both client and company activities
- To lead the implementation and project management of HR related transformation work
- Manage transactional HR activities of Clients and the Company, including the preparation of relevant HR reports to the Board and Councils as required.
- Lead on the development, implementation and monitoring of service and HR plans.
- Demonstrate strong people management skills, promoting a positive culture, motivating teams and employees and effectively translating best practice HR initiatives within the overall context of Company employment policies and procedures.
- Ensure comprehensive delivery of professional HR services in line with the established Service Level Agreements(SLA) and Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s)
- Manage workloads and resources using performance information to deal with under performance.
- Initiate, develop and implement service and performance solutions.
- Carry out all other roles or tasks that are consistent with the level of this post or that fall within the scope of the role thereby ensuring that the overall business and operational priorities of the Company are delivered in a timely and effective manner.
- Providing HR policies and/or reports and attend/ present to Client Councils’/company meetings
- Lead the Company’s change and transformation agenda in relation to staffing, including service reviews, all aspects of employee engagement and the creation of a culture that empowers staff to deliver exceptional services.
- Lead the relationship with Union and Staff Forums
- To explore and implement new and innovative delivery mechanisms through digitalisation, the use of software and applications designed to streamline administration and provide accessible services to users.
- To proactively develop and maintain links with outside bodies (e.g. CIPD, ACAS and LGA) to support the delivery of HR and training across the Company and Shareholders
To actively lead and manage the
Planning and Organising
- To lead the annual HR planning cycle with the client Councils in respect of HR service delivery requirements and performance requirements (SLA/KPI’s)
- To ensure the forward planning of the HR function to ensure the effective and efficent management of Company/Council people-related activity
- To ensure robust and effective HR services plans are in place to delivery against service delivery requirement
- To ensure a robust HR plan with scrutiny and oversight exists in relation to delivery of services across multiple sites
- To ensure the Company has effective HR processes and compliance with work instructions across teams and services
- To develop and implement effective HR policies and plans across the service and Company
- To lead the co-ordination and oversight of HR transformation and people-related acitivty across the Company
- To provide strategic HR advice and support functions across services where required
- Provides clear direction, promotes and leads change in an environment of quality assurance and focus on customer service
- Ensure effective and efficient performance of team and team members, seeking to deal with under-performance and the mentoring, coaching and development of high performing employees
- Provides strategic and innovative leadership with accountability, while developing and supporting the organisations’ visions and values
- Determines the optimum solution while demonstrating a clear understanding of organisational and operational risk
- Provides sound HR advice and guidance in line with Council or Company policy and procedure
- Provides HR advice to the Chief Executive and the Board to enable appropriate decisions to be made
Internal and External Relationships
- Company Chief Executive
- Company Chairman & Board of Directors
- Council Director – HR leads
- HR Managers
- Heads of Company Departments
- Company Auditors
- Client Councils – Client Leads, Chief Executive, Directors, S151 and other Senior Managers
- Third party service providers – Other Local Government County/District/Town/Parish Councils/Police
- External Third Party Providers/Contractors of HR related support
Knowledge, Skills and Experience Needed
- Skills & Education – CIPD Qualified and Chartered Member of CIPD and/or relevant degree in HR discipline
- Experience and results of managing, leading, improving teams and individual performance
- Knowledge and experience of managing corporate HR teams/services in a local government/public sector/LATCo/out-sourced environment
- Experience of: leading and developing an HR team for a relevant period of time after qualification;
- Delivering a strong performance management culture and ethos within HR environment
- Leading change and transformation.
- Continuous professional development across HR/OD – legal knowledge/best practice.
- Advanced practical and conceptual knowledge good HR processes
- Excellent organisational and influencing skills
- Experience of working with auditors (internal/external)
- Ability to prioritise and work to challenging timescales
- Full UK Driving Licence with ability and means to commute between sites
- Knowledge of HR service delivery in a Local Government environment
- Working within a political environment/political awareness
- Coaching/Mentoring qualification/skills development/training
- Development of commercial training services
- Negotiation experience with contracts/contract management
Date of Completion
V3/review & update for recruitment/SMT review
2021 or at point of recruitment