Learning and Training Adviser
About Bond and the role
Bond is the UK network for organisations working in international development. We unite and support a diverse network of over 400 civil society organisations to help eradicate global poverty, inequality and injustice. We strengthen and champion the sector to make international development more efficient and effective. We work to influence governments and policy-makers, develop the skills of people in the sector, share expertise, and build organisational capacity and partnerships.
The Learning and Training Adviser will support the development and delivery of Bond’s successful learning and training programme. The programme is now at a critical point where we are expanding in terms of content, audience and forms of delivery, and plays an important part in Bond’s plans for income development and organisational sustainability. As such, you will work with subject matter experts to design new training programmes and ensure that these are both successful as learning events, whilst still delivering against revenue targets. This post plays a key role in ensuring our training programme is of the highest quality and is continually refreshed, to meet the changing needs of organisations working in international development.
The successful candidate will have a deep understanding of what makes for great learning and development. You will have a track record of designing both face-to-face and online training programmes to meet identified learning needs. You will have good project management skills and the ability to manage relationships with clients, subject matter experts and designers, delivering projects on time and within budget.
Main purpose of the job
The Learning and Training Adviser will work with the Learning and Training Manager to support the development and delivery of Bond’s successful learning and training programme. This post plays a key role in ensuring high quality is achieved, excellent customer service is provided and income, course and participant targets are met.
Contract Type: Permanent
Reporting to: Learning and Training Manager
Manages: Learning and Training Assistant
- Identify opportunities to develop new programmes for open, in-house and online training, in line with market needs, working with Bond associate trainers, the Learning and Training Manager and digital instructional designers as appropriate.
- Build relationships with Bond member L&D leaders to understand the learning needs of their organisations, offer Bond learning and training products to meet their needs, and develop Bond open and in-house training programmes in light of member needs.
- In collaboration with the Learning and Training Manager, continuously source and review the pool of trainers we use, recruit new trainers through an open tender process, work with existing trainers to resolve any issues in course design or delivery and negotiate contracts with all trainers.
- Provide guidance and feedback to associate trainers on learning design and delivery to ensure that learning programmes meet Bond quality standards.
- Respond to client requests for in-house training, match associate trainers to the brief, negotiate prices and contract terms with associates and clients.
- Evaluate the quality and impact of in-house training by capturing, analysing and reporting on feedback and outcomes data from those who have received the service, and using resulting learning to continuously improve Bond’s work and identify new service needs.
- Working with the Learning and Training Assistant, ensure logistics support is provided for in-house training, communications and materials are provided in a timely manner, invoices are raised in line with contract terms and accurate records of all in-house training programmes and participants are maintained on the CRM system.
- Set up online learning sessions using digital platforms and software.
- Provide technical and co-facilitator support to participants and trainers during online learning sessions.
- Monitor expenditure and approval of trainer invoices for in-house courses, ensuring expenditure is within budget.
- Provide logistics support for open training courses and respond to customer queries by phone and email as required.
- Line management of the Learning and Training Assistant
- Provide support to the Learning and Training Manager as required.
MCT team support
- Contribute to creation of website information for events and training.
- Support social media activities for events and training.
- Support Bond events and meetings as required.
- Respond to customer queries by phone and email about Bond services and activities as required.
- Such other duties as may reasonably be required from time to time.
Person specification Essential
- Experience of developing learning and training services to meet identified learner needs
- Experience of developing of content for short courses in international development or a related field
- Proven experience of direct delivery of training
- Experience of designing and/or facilitating or supporting e-learning
- Good project management skills & proven ability to prioritise tasks, manage workload and work to tight deadlines
- Experience of negotiating terms and agreements with external parties (such as suppliers, clients and associates)
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- A good level of numeracy and the ability to work with financial information
- Proven ability to work independently and as a member of a small team
- Commitment to learning and self-improvement
- Three years’ experience in a learning environment or degree level education
- Fully competent in using MS Word, MS Excel, MS powerpoint, databases, email and internet
- An understanding of the key areas we train in including fundraising, monitoring and evaluation and leadership
- Experience of membership-based organisations and networks, ideally within the charity/NGO sector
- Experience of coaching others to improve quality of work performance
- Supervisory or line-management experience
- Interest free season ticket loan
- 27 days leave as standard for all employees. Additional staff privilege days, normally the period between Christmas and New Year
- 7% pension contributions (staff pay 3.5%)
- Flexible working hours
How to apply
To apply, click on the 'Apply for this job' button and fill out the form, submitting your CV and cover letter outlining why you are the right candidate for this role by midnight on Sunday 24 March.
Applicants must have the right to work in the UK.
Bond and equal opportunities
Bond values diversity and works to advance equality. We encourage and welcome applicants from all sections of the community. In order to assess and ensure the continued effectiveness of Bond’s Equal Opportunities Policy, all applicants are asked to complete a short questionnaire when applying. You are not obliged to answer the questions but the more information you supply the more effectively we can monitor our equal opportunity practices. Completion of all questions is voluntary and failure to answer any question(s) will not affect your application in any way.
The information you supply will be treated in confidence and will not be seen by any member of the selection panel responsible for the appointment. The questionnaire will be detached from your CV and cover letter, stored anonymously and used purely to provide statistics for monitoring purposes.