Director of HR - B896
Post Title: Director of Human Resources
Location: Craven College, Skipton (Multi-site)
Rate of pay: Management Pay Scale (depending on experience) Circa £50,000 per annum
Hours: 37 hours per week
Responsible to: Principal
Special Conditions: Due to the nature of this position the post holder must be prepared to work occasional evenings and weekends to attend Board meetings and provide Duty Principal cover. A full DBS Certificate via the Disclosure and Barring Service will be required
Closing Date: 15 May 2019
Interview Date: 15 May 2019
Post No: B896
Your application should be submitted via the College website https://www.craven-college.ac.uk/jobs/ ensuring information of why you feel you are particularly suited to this position and how you meet the person specification are included.
The selection process will involve a formal interview with a selection panel, you will also be required to deliver a presentation and Case Study task, details of which will be provided prior to interview. As a matter of course, all candidates may take up the offer of feedback after interviews.
We are keen to make a prompt decision and hope to be in a position to let candidates know the result quickly. The successful candidate will be invited to take up the position as soon as they are able, which will be followed by a handover period with the current Director of Human Resources prior to taking over the role. You will be supported by a comprehensive induction programme.
The job offer will be subject to satisfactory references and the usual eligibility checks.
Interviews will be held Wednesday 15 May, 2019.
If you would like an informal discussion about the role, please contact: Julie Fitzpatrick, Director of Human Resources, firstname.lastname@example.org
Main Job Purpose
To lead the Human Resources (HR) Team on behalf of the College to ensure that it builds a capable, engaged and effective workforce.
To work in partnership with the College leadership team to deliver a robust HR /OD Strategy in line with the College’s Strategic Plan. To lead and develop the Human Resource Team to ensure an effective HR service is consistently provided across the College.
To develop and implement people management strategies across professional development, talent management, employee and union engagement, reward and employee relations.
To ensure that HR employment policies and procedures are fit for purpose and to support managers to implement them fairly and consistently.
To contribute to, at both a strategic and operational level, organisational and cultural change programmes.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
This Role description is a guide to the duties you will be expected to perform. These may change in the future in line with the strategic direction and development of the College.
- To work effectively with the Governing Board, Principal and the Senior Management Team to ensure the strategic aims and objectives of the College are achieved.
- Analyse the College’s overall strategic, academic and professional needs in order to anticipate any Organisational Development (OD) needs relating to; change, culture and behaviours, leadership and talent, skills and knowledge.
- Work closely with the Staff and Professional Development Team to continually improve and promote the College OD Strategy.
- To proactively lead the HR Team, providing expert advice and a valued added HR service to all stakeholders to deliver improved business performance and to increase efficiency and productivity.
- To ensure that advice and guidance on complex operational HR issues takes into account employee relations and legislation framework.
- Be responsible for compliance with all Equality and Diversity legislation with particular focus on the adherence with the Public Sector Equality Act when implementing or refreshing policies and/or procedures. Also meeting legislative obligations regarding Gender Equality Pay Gap reporting.
- Ensure that the Single Central Record is properly and accurately maintained
- To manage the College’s Payroll Service. Ensuring that a high quality efficient payroll service is provided to the College that delivers timely and accurate payment of all staff and payroll liabilities in line with legal and audit requirements.
- Be responsible for the HR Teams budget.
- Be aware of and offer guidance and support on the College’s pay strategy in line with AOC guidance.
- Provide an influential contribution to the strategic direction of the College and ensure the College’s People Strategy is aligned to the Strategic Plan’s key objectives and contribute to the individual business unit’s operational plans. This could include (but is not limited to) organisation design, workforce and talent management, succession planning and cost reduction opportunities to increase effective performance management across the College.
- Develop and lead on the implementation of change management programmes. Work with senior and middle managers on appropriate structures and resourcing models and to identify and support the need for change and the subsequent processes required.
- Provide expert advice in complex cases in order to minimise the risk of employment tribunals and take a lead role in overseeing the management of senior level or high risk formal hearings any other complex employee relation cases. In addition, manage change initiatives with recognised Trade Unions and staff representatives in order to push through initiatives and maintain good relationships.
- Manage the provision of an effective recruitment service with the development and management of tailored recruitment campaigns, ensuring procedural requirements are met whilst ensuring the College recruits excellent candidates.
- Network effectively building relationships with stakeholders in order to ensure that the HR agenda, policies and initiatives are understood and embedded within the College.
- Monitor the external environment and be proactive and encourage best practice models to be adopted and adhered to by the College across HR, Payroll and any related staff professional Development.
- Ensure that managers understand and comply with relevant policies and employment legislation and good practice to minimise the risk of claims against the College. Participate in external networking opportunities to enhance sector knowledge and to share best practice with / from other institutions.
- Responsibility for ensuring that the organisation retains accreditation for external quality standards, including for example “Investors in People”
- To carry out any other duties commensurate with grade and status as may reasonably be requested by the Principal.
Method of Assessment
- Experience of leading, devising, implementing and evaluating organisation development plans and strategies - AF, CL, I
- Experience of supporting multidisciplinary teams through change-related projects and programmes designed to deliver workforce transformation - AF, CL, I
- Proven experience in managing a team to deliver a HR service - AF, CL, I
- Proven experience of managing and controlling departmental budgets and a thorough understanding of the wider impact on the overall College budget - CL, I
- Experience of payroll processes and administration - AF
- A record of achievement in either generalist or specialist HR roles - AF, I
- Experience of supporting managers with complex HR operational matters including managing performance, capability issues and challenging grievance and disciplinary cases - AF,CL, I
- Proven experience of remodelling, consulting on and implementing changes to policy and procedure, conditions of employment and contracts of employment - AF, CL, I
- Evidence of commitment to Equality and Diversity values and principles in the delivery of all aspects of the role - AF
Knowledge and Skills
- A desire and ability to work at both the strategic and operational level and provide a value for money and pragmatic advice and solutions - I
- Ability to work at pace and deliver successful outcomes within challenging budget and time constraints - I
- Ability to engage with staff successfully and build strong relationships - CL, I
- Strong motivational leadership skills and excellent interpersonal and communication skills - I
- A passion for continuous improvement and customer service excellence - I
- Qualified to degree level and Chartered CIPD Member - AF
- Management qualification or equivalent management experience - AF
- Evidence of continuing professional development - AF
- Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends to attend Board meetings - AF
Method of Assessment Key
AF – Application Form
CL – Covering Letter
I - Interview