Assistant Director of Human Resources (Operations)
This is an exciting time to join the University’s HR leadership team! The University’s new Vice-Chancellor will be joining us in September 2019, and we will embark on developing a new university strategy, from which we will develop our new HR strategy. We employ over 4,000 staff across 30 Academic Departments and 10 Support Departments and have approximately 18,000 students studying a wide range of Undergraduate and Postgraduate programmes. The Human Resources (HR) Department supports staff, managers and leaders by developing and adopting a range of strategies, expert advice, information and operational services. www.york.ac.uk/admin/hr/.
You will contribute to the development and delivery of this HR strategy, and personally lead some of our key strategic HR project work. You will also contribute to the development and implementation of wider strategic and operational HR project work across the HR service.
You will work collaboratively with senior leaders across the institution, developing and embedding excellence and genuinely inclusive HR practices. Operationally, you will be responsible for leading specific areas, including HR Partnering, transactional and advisory HR Services, compliance, HR Systems and Communications. In short, your role is key in ensuring the delivery of high quality and professional HR services to the institution in line with the ethos and values of the institution.
- Educated to Degree Level (or equivalent) and MCIP or FCIPD (or equivalent experience see job description)
- Up to date knowledge of relevant UK legislation, statutory responsibilities and policy relating to employment and industrial relations in the UK
- Significant appreciation of the HR agenda within the Higher Education Sector
- Experience of working within a formal organisational employee relations framework (preferably within a unionised environment)
- Experience of working in an effective HR Partnering model
- Experience of working with, and influencing, senior management and Board level colleagues
- Experience of successfully managing resources, both human and financial
Informal enquiries may be directed to Paul Ellison (HR Recruitment Adviser) firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: 11 August 2019
Interviews: 19 September 2019
(Candidates will also be required to attend on the 12 September 2019. See candidate brief for full details)
The University of York is a highly successful institution with a strong commitment to excellence in research and teaching. A member of the prestigious Russell Group we have experienced significant growth over the past ten years. Based on the edge of the historic city of York, our colleges are set in an attractive landscaped campus.
We offer a range of benefits which include:
- Salary of between £57,000 - £78,000
- 38 days holiday (including public holidays)
- Flexible working
- Generous pension (including 18% Employer Contribution)
- Extensive professional development opportunities
- Flexible benefits scheme (including cycle to work, dental & health plans, season ticket loans)