Head of Shared Services
Birmingham City University
Faculty: Human Resources – Professional Services
School: Human Resources
Post Title: Head of Shared Services
Location: City Centre Campus
£58,492 to £63,578 per annum
Closing Date: Thursday 22 August 2019
Interview Date: To be confirmed
Ref No: 082019-316
Birmingham City University is a university that has drive and ambition to be a centre of teaching and research excellence. We want our students to experience a transformational journey in their time with us and, at the heart of that journey, are our exceptional staff.
Our HR Department enables the university to be a great people employer. BCU is on a journey of change and HR is an integral part of that journey. We are raising the bar to ensure that we are providing the best service to the university and creating a culture of empowerment and trust.
Within the university we are currently implementing ERP Oracle, an integrated HR/Payroll/Finance system. The system is driving us to review the way we operate as teams and the processes which we use. This new role has been created to take advantage of the new system by bringing together the HR Admin team and the Payroll team under one leader to lead in delivering an efficient and high quality service across the employee lifecycle and processes.
Reporting to the HR Director, and with the Payroll module of ERP Oracle due to go live in January 2020, this role gives you the opportunity to be leading your team at a time that is instrumental to a successful go live and to take that team into the exciting new world of improved process, delivery and customer engagement. Our customers within the university demand the best service from us and we need to ensure that, with the advantages of a new system, we meet this challenge.
To apply for this role, you will be able to demonstrate:-
- Significant experience in a shared service role (or experience within one at least of the key services that typically make up shared services)
- Educated to degree level or equivalent
- A proven people leader with a track record of leading and inspiring HR teams to achieve their best
- A passion and tenacity for process improvement
- That you have used technology within administrative services environment to drive improvement
- Ideally have Oracle experience or another similar ERP/HR/Payroll platform
- Excellent planning and organisation skills
- Proven capability of successfully influencing, and building relationship, senior stakeholders
- Excellent all round communication skills
- Energy and ambition for yourself and all that your team and wider department can achieve
- Strong customer focus
If you are interested in this role, please apply online by submitting your current CV and a covering letter (no more than 2 sides of A4) explaining where you meet the requirements of the role and setting out your current remuneration package.
Please find a full copy of the job description attached below.
Please note that this role is not capable of sponsorship under Tier 2 of the points based system.
Please note on occasions where we receive a large number of applications, we may close the advert ahead of the publicised closing date. If this does happen, we will contact all candidates via email who have started but not yet completed their application, giving 48 hours’ notice. We would therefore advise that you submit your completed application as soon as possible.
Birmingham City University holds an Athena Swan Bronze Award and promotes the advancement of gender equality through Representation, Progression and Success for All. We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all sections of the community.