Senior HR Advisor - Attendance and Wellbeing
Context and main purpose of the job:
The National Audit Office (NAO) supports parliament to hold government to account and to improve public services. We focus on driving long-term sustainable improvement in public service delivery and work with government and our stakeholders to deliver better performance. In a nutshell, we help the nation spend wisely.
The Human Resources team provides a full range of HR services and support to ensure we have the high calibre people needed to deliver our ambitious strategy. The HR team consists of around 19 staff, working closely together to deliver a high-quality professional service and is formed of the following sub-teams:
• Attendance and Wellbeing/Business Partnering
• Resourcing, Reward, Performance and Professional Training
• Systems and Data
An opportunity has arisen within the Attendance and Wellbeing team for a Senior HR Advisor to join the team. Senior HR Advisors play a key role in delivering a high quality and effective HR service for the NAO and our external stakeholders, which includes oversight of the HR service desk. The Attendance and Wellbeing Senior HR Advisor will manage an HR Advisor to deliver the administration of a range of HR functions and support the HR Business Partners to assist in promoting the wellbeing of employees. The Senior HR Advisor will need to engage with NAO colleagues of all grades, including senior management and with external suppliers and members of the public.
The successful candidate will also provide relevant advice and support to employees and HR team colleagues in an effective and timely way to achieve service standards. This post will cover a range of HR processes and tasks and will therefore affect the contribution of HR to the wider organisation, customer satisfaction with HR and our performance.
Reporting to: Band 2, HR Business Partner
Internal/External relationships: Key internal relationships include employees of any grade including senior management; HR colleagues; finance; digital services; internal audit. Key external relationships include potential or ex-employees; outsourced payroll; occupational health, other external suppliers and external auditors.
Staff Resources managed: 1 direct report (HR Advisor)
Budgetary Resources managed: The post holder will not be directly responsible for budgets, but they will be expected to utilise resources efficiently, monitor costs and alert managers to change in spend profile and under/overspends.
Attendance and Wellbeing (A&W)
• Manage our family support leave, flexible working, career break and annual leave processes - advising employees on our policies, benefits and eligibility, and supporting the HR Advisor to calculate entitlements and pay rates; process applications and co-ordinate arrangements for employees going and returning from long term leave.
• Manage employee attendance in line with our policies, monitor sickness absence levels and calculate sick pay points.
• Support HR Business Partners to promote employee wellbeing by providing advice to employees and line managers about occupational health issues and reasonable adjustments, including referring employees to our occupational health provider and managing cases.
• Support HR Business Partners to promote high performance of employees by providing advice to employees and line managers about performance management policies and managing cases.
• Manage physical and mental health first aid provision for the office in line with health and safety regulations.
• Manage the Attendance and Wellbeing pay changes including checking pay changes input by the HR Advisor in the HCM system within set deadlines.
• Provide accurate and timely management information, use data to monitor and improve our service and to add value.
• Line manage HR Advisors, managing their performance, delivery and development to achieve high performance.
• Ensure that queries received by the HR Service Desk are answered in a professional and timely manner.
• Work collaboratively with HR colleagues to ensure consistency of service and flexible deployment of staff resources across HR as a whole to meet business needs.
• Build relationships and liaise with external providers to ensure a high level of service is provided to the NAO.
• Complete ad-hoc assignments as requested across the whole range of HR services.
• Excellent attention to detail working methodically and accurately to ensure all people data and pay details are correct.
• Strong communication skills to engage in sensitive conversations in an empathetic, clear and professional manner with employees of all levels of seniority.
• Plans, organises and prioritises to ensure they and their team gets things done in a timely and co-ordinated way and delivers what the business requires.
• Ability to multi-task and flexibility to respond to changing work demands.
• Proactive approach to improving the way things are done.
• Can motivate, develop and challenge others to deliver higher performance.
• Collaborates and builds constructive working relationships with customers, team members, colleagues and external providers.
• Uses HCM systems to provide accurate management information reports.
• Sound Excel skills to analyse and present data accurately and effectively.
• CIPD qualified, or working toward this, updates skills and knowledge through CPD.
• Experience of employee relations case management and payroll administration.
• Strong understanding of employment law