Vacancy No.: VN19-32 Department: Administration
Grade: A2 Section: HR
Job Ref. No.: STF-C/19-32 Reports to: Head of HR
Closing Date: 15 September 2019
ECMWF is both a research institute and a 24/7 operational service, producing and disseminating numerical weather predictions to its Member States. ECMWF carries out scientific and technical research directed to the improvement of its forecasts, collects and processes large amounts of observations, and manages a long-term archive of meteorological data. Satellite and in situ observations provide the information for up-to-date global analyses and climate reanalyses of the atmosphere, ocean and land surface.For details, see www.ecmwf.int/.
Summary of the role
The Payroll Manager will be responsible for managing the ECMWF payrolls for both active staff (approximately 380+) and ECMWF pensioners (approximately 125+). S/he will work closely with other members of the HR team to ensure that all payroll-related activities are performed efficiently and reliably, via the recently implemented Unit4 Business World (Agresso) Enterprise Resource Planning system.
The Payroll Manager will also lead a study to assess the feasibility of outsourcing part or all of ECMWF’s UK and Euro payrolls and will lead the implementation of the recommendations of the study.
- Managing and accountable for the calculation of the payrolls for all active staff, including payments and deductions, and supervising the management of the Centre’s pensioner payroll
- Responding to payroll queries and providing ad hoc advice to staff relating to entitlements and allowances, in accordance with the ECMWF Staff Regulations
- Preparing year end statistics for IPSAS - leave carry forward balances including Home Leave, Senior management costs and preparing year-end payroll related accruals i.e. overtime, mission travel, contractor and agency staff costs
- Raising purchase orders and processing payments for allowances for new joiners or leavers relating to allowances such as: installation allowance, travel expenses, leaving allowance, leave not taken payments
- Liaising with staff on household removal matters, upon arrival and departure and acting as the focal point
- Managing home leave entitlement and advising staff accordingly
- Providing expertise and input towards an outsourcing feasibility study for the Centre’s active staff and pensioner payrolls
- Supporting the implementation of the recommendations of the outsourcing study
- Deep hands-on experience of managing a payroll in a medium-sized organisation
- Experience of supporting change within an operational HR team, supporting individuals in the implementation of a new payroll system
- High level of accuracy and attention to detail
- Solution-oriented and pragmatic approach, willing to coach and support others
- Ability to work under pressure, capacity to manage multiple issues to tight deadlines
- Strong analytic skills, demonstrated ability to work with process and data to continuously improve service
- Initiative and ability to work with minimal supervision
- Strong team player
- Attention to detail with the ability to challenge and optimise processes
Qualifications and experience required
- A university degree in a relevant field or equivalent experience is required.
- Direct experience of managing a payroll for a medium sized organisation.
- Advanced experience of Unit4 Business World / Agresso payroll highly desirable.
- Experience of supporting change within an operational HR team, supporting individuals in the implementation of a new payroll system (Unit4).
- Project management skills would be desirable.
Knowledge and skills (including language):
- Strong analytic skills, demonstrated ability to work with process and data to continuously improve services and processes.
- Strong level of IT literacy with an advanced level of MS Excel is required in order to extract and provide data for statistical analysis.
- Accounting knowledge desirable.
- Candidates must be able to work effectively in English and interviews will be conducted in English.
The successful candidate will be recruited at the A2 grade, according to the scales of the Coordinated Organisations and the annual basic salary will be £59,228.40 NET of tax. The Centre also offers a generous benefits package. This position is assigned to the employment category STF-C as defined in the Staff Regulations.
Full details of salary scales and allowances are available on the ECMWF website at www.ecmwf.int/en/about/jobs, including the Centre’s Staff Regulations regarding the terms and conditions of employment.
Starting date: As soon as possible.
Length of contract: Initially three years, with the possibility of a further contract.
Location: The position will be based in the Reading area, in Berkshire, United Kingdom.
How to apply
Please apply by completing the online application form available at www.ecmwf.int/en/about/jobs.
To contact the ECMWF Recruitment Team, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.