Trustees for an Overseas Development Charity
2 days left
- CIPD Membership
- Non CIPD member
We are a small, dynamic overseas development charity, specialising in livelihoods and rights for some of the world’s most vulnerable people. Our work is currently focused in Sub-Saharan Africa. We have a small UK team of 5, based in Pershore, Worcestershire and we pride ourselves on keeping small and lean so that most of our funds go out to our overseas partners who can apply them where they are most needed.
We are looking for trustees who have the skills and expertise for the role indicated below, attending Trustees’ Meetings at least three times a year (either personally or via skype) and assisting with ad-hoc issues in-between times related to their skill area. We see these roles as a strategic lead, providing oversight and a sounding board to the relevant staff and Chief Executive.
We are looking for individuals with skills and expertise in a number of areas to join our team of Trustees:
- Livelihoods Development
- HR & Governance
We are also looking for individuals with local (Worcestershire) networks and commercial links.
Action on Poverty trustees have
- A passion for livelihood development in the global south
- Relevant skills in areas such as business, global development, fundraising, organisational development, marketing or HR
- An interest in and an understanding of the transformative change that Action on Poverty’s work brings about in the countries in which we work
- A questioning and inquisitive approach about the work of the charity, challenging the normal and setting ambitious goals for the organisation
- An ability to act as a critical friend to staff and to the Chief Executive in particular and identify both opportunities and threats to the charity
- A willingness to give up three or four afternoons a year for Board meetings which take place in Action on Poverty’s offices near Pershore, Worcestershire and provide advice and inputs in between meetings according to their skill area. Attendance by skype can be arranged.
We would greatly value skills and experience relating to the following areas:
Skills and Experience for the Livelihood Development Role
Skills and international experience relating to improving the inclusion of vulnerable and marginalised people in livelihoods. Experience in Africa, in gender and in value chain development would be of particular interest.
Skills and Experience for IT/Communications Role
Skills using IT and digital media for improving our communications in order to improve our profile.
Skills and Experience for HR & Governance Role
Experience and knowledge of the governance role of a Trustee and wider experience of Human Resources management would be particularly valued.
Skills and Experience for local (Worcestershire) networks
Local connections with people around the Pershore area (Worcestershire, Warwickshire and Gloucestershire) for improving awareness with a longer term view to increasing fund-raising.
Skills and Experience for commercial links.
Connections and experience for tapping commercial links for partnership and fund-raising purposes.
Duties and Responsibilities include, within their specific area of expertise:
• To provide inputs, advice and guidance on the organisation’s development in pursuance of its objectives and best practice, liaising with the Chief Executive and staff
• To keep the board informed about relevant issues
In addition, all trustees are required collectively:
• To ensure that the organisation complies with its governing document, organisation law and any other relevant legislation or regulations
• To ensure that the organisation pursues its objectives as defined in its governing document
• to contribute actively to the board of trustees' role in giving firm strategic direction to the organisation, setting overall policy, defining goals, setting targets and evaluating performance against agreed targets
• To safeguard the good name and values of the organisation
• To represent the company at functions and meetings as appropriate
• To declare any conflict of interest while carrying out the duties of a trustee
• To be collectively responsible for the actions of the organisation and other trustees
• To ensure the effective and efficient administration of the organisation
• To abide by the equal opportunities policy
• To protect and manage the property of the organisation and to ensure the proper investment of the organisation's funds
• To make sure the organisation is properly insured against all reasonable liabilities
• To appoint and support the employees and monitor their performance
• To help the board of trustees reach sound decisions. This will involve scrutinizing board papers, leading discussions, focusing on key issues, and providing advice and guidance requested by the board on new initiatives, or other issues relevant to the area of the organisation's work in which the trustee has special expertise
• To attend meetings and to read papers in advance of meetings
• To participate in other tasks as arise from time to time, such as interviewing new staff, helping with fundraising
• To keep informed about the activities of the organisation and wider issues which affect its work
Trustee Person Specification
A trustee must have:
• Integrity and a commitment to the organisation, its values and its objectives
• An understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship
• A willingness to devote the necessary time and effort to their duties as a trustee
• Strategic vision
• Good, independent judgement
• An ability to think creatively
• Willingness to speak their mind
• An ability to work effectively as a member of a team
Please visit our website for more information about what we do and how we do it and if you are interested please send your CV and covering letter explaining why you would like to get involved to Action on Poverty's Chief Executive Ms Alex Daniels.
Apply for Trustees for an Overseas Development Charity
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly