Lead HR Partner
We are looking for an experienced HR professional to take on this exciting opportunity to lead the generalist team as it develops towards a partnering model in the stimulating international environment of our scientific organisation. In this newly created role you will lead a team of HR Partners and Administrators responsible for delivering a high quality HR service across the Institute. The team advises on the onboarding, performance management, development and engagement of the talented researchers, developers and functional specialists who make up our staff, and provides operational support for all stages of the employee life cycle. Your role You will draw on your experience and professional best practice to manage and develop the team as they work with staff at all levels, guiding them to find solutions and deliver operational excellence. Working alongside the Recruitment Lead and HR Systems & Payroll Specialist, and reporting to the Senior HR Officer, you will be responsible for optimising processes around each stage of the employee life cycle. The role requires an experienced HR professional who can deliver effectively in an international and matrix management environment. It calls for a structured approach to operational matters and problem-solving, and the ability to work to tight deadlines while remaining flexible to handle changing priorities across many teams with different perspectives. Excellent teamwork is essential as there are strong interdependencies between HR team members to provide a high quality service to the Institute, and effective collaboration with colleagues in the EMBL headquarters in Heidelberg is also key to success. Responsibilities include:
- lead the HR Partner team to provide high quality advice to staff and managers based on EMBL policies, Staff Rules & Regulations and best professional practice, ensuring fair and consistent treatment
- optimise processes relating to induction, contracting, performance management and departure, working closely with all stakeholders
- line manage, coach and develop HR Partners and Administrators and act as a role model of professional integrity and best practice
- work closely with the Senior HR Officer on development projects, providing expert input and bringing a solution-oriented approach
- deputise for the Senior HR Officer as needed
The role requires a limited amount of travel within Europe. You have
- minimum 5 years professional HR experience as business partner or similar
- university degree and training in human resources management or similar
- track record of process improvement
- proven ability to thrive in multicultural and/or matrix environment
- partnering expertise - working collaboratively to find solutions that support staff and the organisation and ensure compliance with policies
- proven ability to lead, coach and develop
- good organisational skills
- high level of professional integrity
- ability to build strong professional relationships and inspire confidence and trust
- strong teamworking skills
- excellent spoken and written English
You might also have
- line management experience
- experience in scientific, biotech or academic organisation
- have worked outside your home country
- experience working with SAP or similar ERP
- good working knowledge of a European language other than English
Why join us At EMBL-EBI, we help scientists realise the potential of ‘big data’ in biology by enabling them to exploit complex information to make discoveries that benefit mankind.
Working for EMBL-EBI gives you an opportunity to apply your skills and energy for the greater good.
As part of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL), we are a non-profit, intergovernmental organisation funded by over 27 member states and two associate member states.
We are located on the Wellcome Genome Campus near Cambridge in the UK, and our 600 staff are engineers, technicians, scientists and other professionals from all over the world. EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation. The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme and health insurance, educational and other family related benefits where applicable, as well as financial support for relocation and installation. For more information about pay and benefits click here We have an informal culture, international working environment and excellent professional development opportunities but one of the really amazing things about us is the concentration of technical and scientific expertise – something you probably won’t find anywhere else. If you’ve ever visited the campus you’ll have experienced first-hand our friendly, collegial and supportive atmosphere, set in the beautiful Cambridgeshire countryside. Our staff also enjoy excellent sports facilities including a gym, a free shuttle bus, an on-site nursery, cafés and restaurant and a library. What else you need to know To view a copy of the full job description please click here
To apply please submit a covering letter and CV through our online system. Applications are welcome from all nationalities and this will continue after Brexit. For more information please see our website. Visa information will be discussed in more depth with applicants selected for interview. Applications will close at 23:00 GMT on the date listed above.