We are looking for an exceptional Pensions Manager with strong people management and leadership skills to lead and develop a new in-house retained pensions administration and successfully transition our services to a new Pensions Administration provider. You will need first-class
interpersonal, customer service and communication skills, with the ability to interpret complex regulations and translate it across in such a way that is practical and jargon free.
You will also have excellent analytical and problem-solving skills and possess the ability to see the wider picture and be open to change and continuous improvement.
You will have strong knowledge of the Local Government Pension Scheme and ability to plan and organise a variable workload in order to meet deadlines.
Provide clear and visible leadership in a positive working environment for the Pensions Administration team ( 3 fte).
- Ensure service delivery is maintained in line with regulatory requirements and corporate principles and establish the most effective level of service delivery attainable within the resources available;
- Develop and embed demand-side customer driven service design;
- Establish effective workforce planning arrangements which support medium to long term service delivery and take into account not only the human resource factors, but ties into overall strategic plans, financial and budget considerations, climate change issues and legislative requirements/regulations and governance;
- Contribute as appropriate in the identification of commercial opportunities that can modernise service provision, improve service delivery and deliver MTFS savings options.
- Manage employees, relevant budgets and team/individual performance in accordance with council procedures and objectives;
- Use workforce planning data to inform the appropriate interventions for employee development and encourage progressions, as appropriate;
- Establish effective lines of communication and build working relationships with the team based around trust and empowerment;
- Effectively engage with the team/individual employees to make decisions within the remit of their work, to challenge appropriately and to think ‘outside the box’ in terms of improving service delivery;
- Lead by example in relation to continuous professional development;
- Actively encourage and lead by example in terms of agile working initiatives and promote the use of technology to maximise productivity and service delivery;
- Ensure, as far as reasonably practicable, the health, safety and well-being of yourself and others within the workplace, including building levels of resilience and instigating interventions as appropriate;
- Ensure principles of equality, diversity and inclusion are embraced and underpin all work for employees and service users.
- Lead on the development and delivery of a pensions administration strategy, policies and procedures for the Pension Scheme, including working with external technical and legal advisers, the Director of Resources and the Pension Committee to ensure that the strategy and policies are approved, implemented and monitored.
- Lead on providing assurance on all matters relating to pensions administration to senior management and Members, including compliance with regulatory requirements, local strategy and policies, quality of service to fund Members.
- Lead on managing relationships with the Fund’s members, admitted and scheduled bodies, external technical and legal advisors, regulatory/government bodies and other stakeholders.
- Lead on the procurement, development and contract management of externally provided services and systems to support the delivery of the service to ensure all processes are completed within a timely manner and a corporate package of workforce information for services is available.
- Responsible for leading the in-house retained team that administers all aspects of the Local Government Pension Scheme and the Teacher’s Pension Scheme.
- Lead on providing strategic advice, information and support on the Local Government Pension Scheme, represent the service on working groups, including the provision of strategic advice at the Pension Board and Pension Fund Sub-Committee and professional associations.
- Ensure effective and timely communication with scheme members.
- Lead on the delivery of a quality training programme in respect of pensions administration, providing support and advice for end users.
- Lead on the production, maintenance and retention of robust management records and information in relation to pensions administration.
- Responsible for liaison with Pension Fund investment managers and advisors to support the reporting requirements of the Pension Board, Pension Board Sub-Committee, and Audit and Pensions Committee.
Closing date 31st August