The Croydon Almshouse Charities Trustee Company is responsible for the oversight of two linked charities: the Croydon Almshouse and Relief in Need Charities. The former provides supported housing accommodation to older people to live independently in Croydon and Mitcham, through our modern, purpose-built Elis David Almshouses in Croydon, which houses up to 60 residents, and the historic Mary Tate’s Almshouses in Mitcham, which house seven residents in individual cottages. The second provides grants to individuals in need in Croydon and other local charitable organisations. The Charities are governed by a single Board of Directors, which meets quarterly.
Purpose of the post:
Directors of the Trustee Company are responsible for the strategic development of the Charities and oversight of their management and delivery of the services they provide, in compliance with legal and regulatory requirements.
Main duties and responsibilities:
1. To contribute to the effective governance of t he Charities in compliance with relevant company and charity legal and regulatory requirements, and current best practice
2. To contribute to the strategic development of the Charities and the services they provide
3. To contribute to the development of annual plans that reflect strategic and operational priorities
4. To contribute to the effective stewardship of the Charities’ assets and the management of its financial resources, to ensure their financial sustainability in both the short and long term
5. To contribute to the identification of key business risks and opportunities for the Charities and oversight of their management
6. To contribute to the oversight of the operational management of the Charities, through setting relevant key performance indicators and holding the Chief Operating Officer and her staff to account for delivery
7. To advise the Board and take the lead on its behalf on issues relating to your area of specific professional expertise or experience
8. To lead, model and demonstrate the Charities’ Vision, Mission and Values
- It is essential that the post holder has:
- Management experience at a senior level;
- For specific Director roles, a relevant professional qualification;
- The ability to analyse information and provide constructive challenge;
- Excellent communication skills, including the facility to work co-operatively with other Directors and executives
- A commitment to improving the lives of older people
The expected time commitment is four Board meetings per year (meetings are held in Croydon on Tuesdays between 4.00pm and 7.00pm although currently we are utilising video-conferencing), one half strategy day, four sub-Committee meetings (also for the time being by video-conference) and some ad hoc project work.
Directors are also encouraged to attend various residents’ functions, e.g. our Founder’s Day Tea.