People Operations Manager
Who you’ll be
Here at Staffordshire County Council, we live by three values: to be ambitious, empowering and courageous. As our People Operations Manager, you’ll play a big part in instilling these values across the organisation. That’s why you’ll be:
- Ambitious in what you want to achieve for People Services
- Empowering to everyone around you, at all levels
- Courageous in your decision-making and solutions
Looking for a role where you’ll find room to grow and the chance to help coach and influence leaders across our organisation? Then now’s the time to take pride – and take us forward.
What you’ll do
1. Provide far-reaching advice, support and guidance
You’ll be there to give invaluable, timely advice and support on complex employee relations issues, change management and organisational development activities. It’ll see you dig deeper into the challenges being faced by managers and senior leaders across Staffordshire County Council; and with your findings in hand, you’ll provide balanced, spot-on solutions.
In fact, the very way you analyse and approach situations will inspire others to follow suit. You’ll lead, coach, mentor and develop a team of People Operations Advisers on giving advice and guidance, making sure they deliver a modern, professional service that puts people at the heart of everything they do. To help them achieve that, you’ll allocate the work and cases coming into your team, making swift recommendations to resolve any people-related issues that have been raised. It’s also something you’ll help managers with – coaching them on how to address situations quickly as you identify any cases that need mediation.
2. Bring positive change across the organisation
Here, your positive influence will be felt far beyond your immediate team. You’ll support the organisation in plenty of different ways: from providing expert advice at formal hearings to overseeing change programme activity. As someone who’s always looking to add value, you’ll identify, develop and deliver learning and development workshops on employee relations. It’s how, thanks to you, managers at all levels will have the knowledge, skills and understanding of key People policies and processes.
With your focus on detail, you’ll analyse and monitor people-related data to spot trends or areas of concern. That way, you’ll be able to suggest how and where we can make improvements that everyone will benefit from. At the same time, you’ll keep an eye on the bigger picture and ensure that our People policies are in line with current and future employment legislation. Whether you’re scoping out work with Strategic People Partners, nurturing strong relationships with Trade Unions or ensuring best practice within your team, you’ll instil confidence in everyone you meet – and be a credible voice around Staffordshire County Council.
3. Provide an accountable service
As a Council, we need to provide an accountable, responsible service that works with Staffordshire’s communities. You’ll play a vital role in ensuring that happens, coaching our leaders in ethical decision-making and in building trust and cohesion.
Ultimately though, we can only encourage accountability if we’re accountable ourselves. That’s why you’ll embody our values in everything you do across the organisation. Always striving for ethical leadership and adhering to professional principles, you’ll be a role model of what you want to achieve. Leading through example, you’ll seek out fresh ways to learn and grow – and be a champion for sharing that new learning widely too, for everyone’s benefit.
What you’ll need
To apply for this role, you’ll need to have:
- CIPD or an equivalent degree-level qualification
- Active membership of CIPD, with this position working at Chartered level
- Extensive experience of Human Resources within a large unionised organisation
- Excellent knowledge of current employment legislation, case law and good HR practice
- Experience of managing a team of HR professionals and delivering projects
- Understanding and experience of managing TUPE, redundancy and change programmes
How we’ll support you
As well as providing you with inspiring leadership and an environment where you can take pride in what you do, you’ll also benefit from:
- An excellent local government pension scheme
- Generous holiday entitlement from 24 up to 33 days (plus 2 extra statutory days and bank holidays) depending on job role and length of service
- The option to buy up to an additional 2 weeks annual leave
- A range of flexible working options, depending on your job role, which includes agile working, flexible retirement Family Friendly Policies - maternity, adoption, paternity and parental leave
- Volunteering Scheme Training and development opportunities, including coaching and mentoring
- Access to health and wellbeing support (including Occupational Health, Physiotherapy and Counselling Services)
- Eye care vouchers
- Car lease scheme / cycle & car loan scheme / employee car share scheme
- Bus and rail travel discounts
To find out more about us and working at Staffordshire County Council in the People Team please visit our website here.
Closing date for applications: 19 January 2021
- 1st stage interview – from week beginning 25/01/21
- 2nd stage interview – from week beginning 01/02/21
Each stage will be conducted via MS Teams virtually and we’ll fully explain each stage as you progress to ensure you understand how you are being assessed and how you can prepare.
Additional requirements /adjustments?
Should you need any adjustments to the recruitment process or feel you need to find out more about this role to be able to apply please do get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll respond to you as soon as possible from the 4 Jan 2021.
How do I apply?
To apply for this role just click on the ‘Apply’ button.
By clicking on the apply button you will be redirected to Staffordshire County Councils online application website.
By clicking on the Apply button and submitting your application form, you are giving your consent to the processing of your personal data in the ways described Here
If you experience any technical issues accessing or completing the application form please contact email@example.com