Volunteers needed to help create a brighter future for school leavers in the West Midlands
Are you enthusiastic about giving back to your community and using your professional skills to have a positive impact on future generations? We need professionals to help schools and colleges develop impactful careers education programmes and improve the prospects of students during this unprecedented time.
Providing careers education in schools and colleges is essential to help young people regain confidence in their future. More than ever, they need help from employers to understand the opportunities available and how to access them. ‘There are now 563k young unemployed people, and this is likely to rise to a million in one or two years’ time.’ GOV.uk
How can I help?
The CIPD is pleased to be recruiting volunteers across England to join the Enterprise Adviser Network, which is funded and implemented by the Careers and Enterprise Company.
Enterprise Advisers are volunteers who work directly with school leadership teams to help them develop an effective careers education programme and raise the aspirations of young people. They also work to create connections between schools and local employers, to bring the world of work to life for students.
“This is really about a partnership with schools and employers to prepare the next generation for the world of work and their future careers. When you’ve been in a professional role for a number of years, it’s good to challenge yourself. The Enterprise Adviser role has connected me to a new sector, allowed me to use my transferable skills and helped to develop my strategic thinking. I’ve been able to support future talent and think about how we can offer the next generation opportunities.” Anita, Enterprise Adviser volunteer.
- play an active role in helping a local school or college to develop ‘work ready’ young people by using your professional skills and insight to shape the careers education programme.
- advise on strategic planning in a new context and gain a better understanding of the education sector.
- develop professional skills including leadership, networking, influencing and commercial drive.
- support the school in connecting with local employers, enabling students to learn from them about work, employment and the skills that are valued in the workplace.
- build strong working relationships with your local school or college and provide insight into your organisation and industry.
Ideal candidates for this role are:
- experienced business professionals able to influence and create strategic initiatives
- dedicated to making a lasting impact on the future of young people
- comfortable with working with a school’s senior leadership team
- able to volunteer one to five hours a month (includes at least one meeting with a matched school per half term, i.e. every two months) for one academic year.
Volunteering during COVID-19
Due to the pandemic, volunteering will take place remotely by video call/phone/email, until volunteers can safely enter schools for face to face meetings with the schools careers leader and senior leadership team.
How to apply:
To get started, you need to complete a short expression of interest form via the 'Apply' button. The CIPD will then be in touch with further information. The CIPD (Chartered Institute of Personnel Development) is the professional body for HR and people development and are working with the funder to recruit volunteers.
We are particularly interested in hearing from applicants in Birmingham, Coventry and Warwickshire, but applicants from across England, in any sector, are welcome to apply.
The CIPD has recruited over 1,000 professionals from the people profession, and wider industry and business professions, to volunteer in schools. We look forward to you joining the growing network of volunteers supporting young people as they begin their journey into the world of work.
More searches like this
- Consultancy Trainer Talent & Development / Performance Management Non CIPD member jobs in Warwickshire
- Education Trainer Talent & Development / Performance Management Non CIPD member jobs in Warwickshire
- Charities, Not For Profit Trainer Talent & Development / Performance Management Non CIPD member jobs in Warwickshire