Trustee at The Diocese of Westminster Academy Trust (DOWAT)
The Diocese of Westminster Academy Trust in Pinner seeks three non-executives/directors with skills and experience in risk, remuneration, HR, risk, compliance, governance or public affairs to join its board. Board meetings are held in Pinner, North West London when safe to do so.
The Academy Ambassadors programme brings the expertise of the business world onto boards at multi-academy trusts (MATs) throughout the country to raise standards of education and improve the life chances of young people, which is critical to our social and economic success.
The Diocese of Westminster Academy Trust consists of 5 primary schools and 6 secondary schools all based across the neighbouring west London boroughs of Hillingdon, Hounslow and Brent, with the other schools in the nearby county of Hertfordshire. All 11 academies are Catholic schools, with Catholic values at their core. Four of their schools were judged as 'outstanding' at their last inspection and six others were judged 'good'. One of the primary schools was judged to be 'requires improvement' and is expected to be judged good at the next inspection. In total, DOWAT has around 8,000 students and a budget of approximately £47m. There are exciting plans for expansion in the future. The trust aims to grow from an 11 school MAT to between 25-30 schools MAT in the next few years and requires new trustees with appropriate skills to help them achieve this and broaden their experience as a board. DOWAT has below the national average numbers of pupils requiring free school meals, with special educational needs, and those with English as an additional language.
The board seeks three business leaders with board level experience in
- Human Resources or
- Risk or
- Remuneration or
- Compliance or
- Governance or
- Public Affairs
As a key member of the board you will support the trust in achieving the following over the next 12 - 24 months:
- Building a more effective board with a wider skills set
- Building a more effective central team with expanded central services which provide support and challenge for the current schools, while attracting new schools
- Developing the culture so heads and local governors understand all the benefits of being a member of a MAT
- Growing the MAT sustainably from its current size of 11 schools to 25-30 schools over the next 5 years.
Board governance in education is a strategic, 'eyes on, hands off' commitment which typically involves attending c. six board meetings per year/6-8 hours' time per month.
You will be responsible for:
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction
- Holding executive leaders to account for the educational performance of the organisation and its pupils, and the effective and efficient performance management of staff; and
- Overseeing the financial performance of the organisation and making sure its money is well spent
As an Academy Ambassador, you will join our ambassador network which provides resources, guidance, networking events and webinars to support you in your role.
All roles are pro bono.
People from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Please register your interest now to be considered for the role.
A full trust specification is available here: https://www.academyambassadors.org/board-opportunities/diocese-westminster-academy-trust
Please be aware the closing date may change if we have received sufficient applications.
Apply for Trustee at The Diocese of Westminster Academy Trust (DOWAT)
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly