Volunteers needed to help shape careers education in specialist schools across England
Strategic school partners needed to shape careers education and improve career outcomes for young people with special educational needs across England
YOU could make the difference to a young person’s life by helping to level up the Careers playing field by supporting young people with a wide range of special educational needs in different types of schools to get career ready.
The Enterprise Adviser network, will build your confidence and knowledge by giving you great training, as an Enterprise Adviser, you will be offering strategic, and at times operational, support for the planning, execution, and evaluation of career development activities for young people with special educational needs within specialist school or a programme within a mainstream schools.
There are 1.37 million young people with Special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) and millions more who are vulnerable / disadvantaged and who experience multiple barriers to optimum career / life outcomes.
Often the focus with these young people is on what they cannot do however this role focuses on what a young person can do. Identifying potential career outcomes and working to create effective career pathways and programmes. We look at two groups of young people with SEND, those who typically will take GCSEs (Career SEND Group Two) and those who typically will not take GCSEs (Career SEND Group One). This definition enables us to get to the heart of which career destinations (i.e. work experience, apprenticeships, etc.) will work best for each group, and what gets in the way and how to navigate the barriers through their career’s education.
Each school / setting will be slightly different but broadly speaking the role will include:
- Develop a good understanding of the local labour market, employment base and other local opportunities
- Attend meetings with your school or college
- Partner with teachers to audit existing careers provision and identify successes, challenges, and gaps
- Based on audit findings, support teachers to design a whole-school career strategy, consisting of a range of programmes aligned to the potential career outcomes of students and careers activities including skills development, employer encounters and work experience.
In addition to the activities listed above that you will be involved in, you will also be required in specialist schools to tailor approaches to match the school context and ensure the Careers Strategy and plans are aspirational, creating a roadmap to the students’ potential career outcomes.
What skills and experience do you need?
- Interest in supporting young people with SEND (no previous experience is necessary)
- Business professionals who can work at the strategic level
- Confident communicators and networkers
- Pro-active and keen to give back to their local community
- Supportive, pragmatic, and flexible
- Empathetic to the many challenges schools can face.
What Support is provided?
- Comprehensive induction and training
- Multiple Toolkits and resources to help map out a range of programmes
- Support from an Enterprise Coordinator who will work with you and your school to ensure everyone is happy and progress is being made
- Labour market information to help you build industry links
- Optional networking and training sessions
- Valuable connections and networking via the CIPD Branches network
We are particularly looking for volunteers who are interested in supporting SEND Schools in the following areas: Black Country, Coventry and Warwickshire, Birmingham, Lancashire, Leeds City Region, Liverpool City Region, London, South East- Essex, and the West of England.
If you would like to be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete a short expression of interest form via the 'Apply' button. We will then be in touch with further information. For any other queries please email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
More searches like this
- Consultancy Trainer Talent & Development / Performance Management Non CIPD member jobs in England
- Education Trainer Talent & Development / Performance Management Non CIPD member jobs in England
- Charities, Not For Profit Trainer Talent & Development / Performance Management Non CIPD member jobs in England
- Public Sector Trainer Talent & Development / Performance Management Non CIPD member jobs in England
- Social Services Trainer Talent & Development / Performance Management Non CIPD member jobs in England