Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Lead
Humankind is committed to reduction deprivation and exclusion, and to improving people’s wellbeing. We have over 1,400 staff and around 100 volunteers providing services for over 76,000 people. Our specialist services include substance use, clinical, employment training and education, housing services, housing support and health, young people and families services.
This is a new and exciting opportunity to lead on developing and implementing the Equality, Diversity and Inclusion strategy, practices and principles across the UK to create a culture which embeds EDI within the workforce and services at Humankind.
Humankind is committed to Equality, Diversity and Inclusion, and are passionate about creating a diverse workforce. We positively encourage applications from under-represented communities.
Main duties and responsibilities:
- Develop a national Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) strategy for Humankind in consultation with workforce / service users / stakeholders.
- Work closely with Senior Leadership Team and People Team to promote good relations and practices towards EDI throughout the workforce and services.
- Lead a network of EDI champions to deliver the EDI strategy and to provide and implement solutions to complex equality and diversity challenges within the workforce and the services.
- Develop, monitor and review EDI policies and regional plans and ensure EDI is incorporated into all existing company policies and procedures.
- Develop and facilitate practice development groups in collaboration with the Learning and Development (L&D) Team and work alongside the L&D Team on the EDI training offer.
- Maintain an up-to-date knowledge of anti-discriminatory legislation.
- Ensure EDI data is held in our system, analyse the data to identify trends and present reports, solutions and recommendations to the organisation based on analysis.
- Provide reports and briefings as required, including reports to the Senior Management Team, stakeholders and operational and strategic meetings.
- Act as an advocate for and present the needs of the workforce and service users by providing advice, guidance and support on equality and diversity issues.
- To provide support with recruitment and selection and onboarding initiatives.
- To support Service and Area Managers in ensuring all services delivered are accessible to underrepresented groups.
- Raise awareness of equality issues and develop systems for reporting and learning from any incidents of discrimination.
- In collaboration with Quality & Performance and People Teams interpret, and ensure compliance with, EDI legislation.
- Monitor and report on performance against your objectives and the performance of your area to Senior and Executive teams and, as required, to the Board of Trustees and relevant sub-committees.
- Research, apply and promote diversity initiatives and share best practice.
- Undertake continuing professional development including participating in supervision, performance appraisals and attending training as/when required.
- Work in accordance with all relevant legislation, policies & procedures and guidelines – both internal and external.
- Keep abreast of policy and professional development within your area of professional expertise.
- To promote, adhere to and live our workplace values of being honest, committed and inventive.
This job description is intended to provide a guide to the general duties and responsibilities of the post. It should not be regarded as a contractual document. It will be reviewed regularly and may be varied at the discretion of Humankind.
Person Specification - Essential criteria:
- Educated to NVQ level 3 or equivalent
- Proficient in Microsoft Office programs
- High standard of written, communication and presentation skills
- Experience of devising and delivering company-wide EDI strategy
- Experience of successfully leading and managing a team
- Knowledge and experience of relevant legislation and applying it in practice
- Experience of managing EDI communications – prepare materials for internal and external purposes.
- Awareness and understanding of the effects of discrimination on grounds of the protected characteristics.
- Experience of diverse and varied recruitment practices to ensure EDI for all.
Person Specification – Desirable criteria:
- Project management experience
- Previous experience of successfully delivering EDI and organisational change initiatives in a large and complex organisation
- Experience of delivering effective training and learning initiative
Candidates will be recruited within the advertised pay range, please do not automatically expect initial recruitment to be at the top end, as this will depend on experience and enables progression in role through the Humankind development process.
Please note that all communication regarding your application for this post will be sent to the email address you provide on your application form. We will contact shortlisted candidates by email to confirm the arrangements for interview. Please check your email inbox after the closing date for notification as you will not be notified by any other means. Please remember to check your junk folder.
Due to the current restrictions as a result of the coronavirus pandemic, interviews will be via Microsoft Teams or Zoom.