Head of Personal Safety Training
Head of Personal Safety Training
Why this role is important
The Home Office needs great people with relevant professional skills and capabilities to achieve the mission of building a safe, fair and prosperous UK. The Home Office learning function is at that heart of the Home Office becoming a listening learning organisation and our vision for learning is that we learn as individuals, grow as an organisation and succeed for our citizens. The learning function ensures that the organisation can successfully develop and support capable, confident people through the design of quality learning activity and use of specific targeted Leadership, Learning and Talent strategies.
This role has accountability and responsibility for all Personal Safety Training (PST) delivery provided by the central Learning function, in addition this role has responsibility for providing support, advice and assuring those Learning Delivery Professionals who remain Business Embedded. This role has accountability for enabling the PST Delivery sub-function to meet the Directorate customer Learning needs through the ongoing maintenance of Learning capabilities within the PST Delivery sub-function. This role also has a responsibility to represent the Home Office at applicable College of Policing PST forums.
You will be responsible for ensuring that the Home Office Learning function is aligned to College of Policing strategy and initiatives and developing Home Office delivery that is consistent, inclusive and accessible and best in class. You will need to demonstrate strong leadership and relationship management skills, with an agile approach and an ability to network with managers and stakeholders at all levels.
You will report to the Deputy Director of Learning Operations and Delivery and be responsible for managing a large specialist delivery team.
Key Accountabilities include; Not an exhaustive list
- Overall accountability for the development and deployment of all PST (and associated Learning products) within the department in accordance with associated annual plans
- Accountability as the Operational Control (OC) Manager for the first line assurance of the Firearms, Explosives Awareness and Recognition (FXAR) training kits held in Operational Learning Armouries and make safe responsibilities
- Accountability for the input to the ongoing maintenance of the Operational Learning licence to operate for PST
- Oversee and ensure the highest quality service to, support for and experience of learners within the department
- Understanding, and putting in place plans to address, PST capability, skills and knowledge gaps within the department
- Accountability for all centrally owned PST Learning Products delivered within the Home Office
- Be recognised, in department and cross government, as learning experts and be able to offer advice, guidance and support to the business in both procurement and addressing the departments complex and specialist leadership and learning requirements
You will have the following skills and experience
- Strong knowledge of learning and development theory and a proven track record of embedding effective learning delivery in practice across a large organisation
- Have a thorough understanding of the operational environment in which Personal Safety Training (PST) may be deployed
- Strong knowledge of operational and customer service delivery and proven track record of developing and embedding service excellence in practice across a large organisation
- Proven ability to shape and lead a delivery team providing a service into the organisation with a focus on tangible business deliverables and outcomes
- Proven ability to collaborate, engage and influence colleagues and senior stakeholders to deliver shared business outcomes
- Proven people and budget management experience and a collaborative and positive leadership approach
- Strong intellect and excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work under pressure when faced with competing demands from
- Have a thorough and current knowledge of Personal Safety Training (PST) including Method of Entry (MOE), and Firearms, Explosives Awareness Training (FXAR) both operationally and in the learning environment
- Demonstrate the ability to think strategically and creatively, to see PST issues in their wider context, and to advise accordingly
- Have a thorough and current knowledge of National Police Chiefs Council (NPCC) and College of Policing (CoP) guidance, best practice and advice, and UK legislation with regards PST
- Be CIPD qualified.
What’s on offer
This role is flexible on location and can be based in either of the below locations on a full-time basis with flexible working available.
*You will be able to select your location preference upon completion of your formal application form.
As an employer of choice, the Home Office offers an extensive benefits package including:
- A competitive salary of;
National; £63,256 up to £69,578 London; £68,699 up to £75,566
- Market leading pension scheme
- 25 days annual leave (rising to 30 after 10 year’s service in the Home Office) plus 1 additional day for the Queen’s Birthday and 8 bank holidays
- Flexible working to support a work life balance
- A range of benefits focusing on health and wellbeing
- Extensive training and development opportunities
Applying through this advert is an expression of interest and you will be given further onscreen instructions to complete your application form where you will be provided full details about the role.
For a confidential discussion about this role or any opportunities with the Home Office please contact Claire Steyn on 02082598824 or Claire.Steyn@hays.com
More searches like this
- Public Sector Director / Head / VP Talent & Development / Performance Management jobs in Durham
- Local and National Government Director / Head / VP Talent & Development / Performance Management jobs in Durham
- Professional Services Director / Head / VP Talent & Development / Performance Management jobs in Durham