Deputy Director, HR Functional Strategy and Capability
The Civil Service HR (CSHR) function encompasses circa 3,500 colleagues working in Human Resources and Learning and Development across all government departments, agencies and non-departmental public bodies (NDPBs). The central CSHR team in the Cabinet Office, led by Rupert McNeil as Government Chief People Officer and Head of Function, provides support and guidance to departments, professions and other functions to build a modern and effective Civil Service.
The Civil Service operates a functional model, with strong leadership and continuous improvement of the cross-departmental corporate functions. The postholder will lead on delivering this agenda for the Civil Service HR function, working closely with the Government Chief People Office, Director HR Functional Management and departmental HR Directors to improve effectiveness, efficiency and capability across the HR system and functions.
The role is varied and challenging, giving the successful candidate an insight into the machinery of central government as well as the opportunity to influence the direction and bring in best practice from wider employers and sectors. The postholder will lead and ensure successful implementation across a diverse portfolio, including ensuring we have the standards, structures and professional capabilities the Civil Service needs to deliver successfully now and in the future.
The postholder sits within the Functional Management Directorate and the successful candidate will be leading a team with close links to the wider directorate.
Responsibilities including but are not limited to the following:
• Leading development of a long-term strategy for the Civil Service HR Function up to 2025 and beyond, including the HR Operating and Functional Performance Model and HR technology roadmap
• Development and delivery of the HR Functional Plan and HR Functional Standard to assure ongoing Functional effectiveness, compliance and risk management
• Championing development, talent and career management for all staff and make learning a reality by encouraging and providing a range of development opportunities/experiences
• Continuing to define and evolve the expectations of what HR professionals in HMG do, in partnership with professional bodies like CIPD, CIMA and CIPFA, and delivering a 3-5 year strategy to support continuing development
• Ensuring an in-depth and evolving understanding of the broad range of customer requirements is embedded in the Function
• Defining and integrating clear structures, systems and resources required across the Function to promote efficient service delivery
• Oversight of CSHR and the function through the Outcome Delivery Plan Process
• Oversight of the Global HR Design to continue to deliver and surpass departmental needs and expectations and ensure adherence to best practice and relevant policies and processes.