Senior HR & Finance Manager
To be responsible for the overall management and delivery of the College’s financial processes and compliance with financial policies and procedures; To work closely with CEO on facilitating strategy delivery from a financial perspective; To offer accurate interpretation, advice, application and representation to CEO and senior staff on employment legislation, best practice and policy and procedures in relation to HR matters including recruitment and selection, remuneration, terms and conditions of service, disciplinary and capability cases, grievance, redundancy; To update, develop and help enforce the College’s HR policies
Reports to CEO
Line Manages Accounts Manager (0.5 FTE)
Works With Accountant (0.2 FTE); Academic Registrar; Head of Income Generation
Gresham College has just embarked on an exciting 5-year plan with the primary aim of increasing and broadening our audience. Our sponsors have significantly increased their investment in the College and we have just appointed a Head of Income Generation to raise funds from a range of sources. We have also recruited several new members of staff to help achieve our strategic aims. As a consequence, we need to fortify our capacity and capability in the areas of finance and HR. This is a great opportunity for someone with expertise and extensive experience in managing the finances and HR for a similar organisation and who would find it rewarding and motivating to play a key role in ensuring the success of Gresham’s mission and vision to ensure that as many people as possible of all ages and backgrounds benefit from the outstanding education we provide.
- Be responsible for the overall management and delivery of the College’s financial processes and compliance with financial policies and procedures - working closely with the College Accountant (0.2 FTE)
- Manage financial controls and ensure that the College’s financial transactions are compliant with all external regulatory and financial obligations
- Work closely with CEO on facilitating strategy delivery from a financial perspective
- Be completely up-to-date with the College’s financial position and provide CEO with financial information promptly
- Assist the CEO in the drafting of papers for Finance Committee and Council and in servicing the Finance & Remuneration Committees
- Review accounting and clearance/sign-off of expenditure procedures in College and make recommendations for improvements.
- Be responsible for checking contracts on procurement
- Oversee and sign off payroll calculations
- Provide advice on remuneration levels bench-marked against other organisations and the College’s current remuneration system
- Offer accurate interpretation, advice, application and representation to CEO and senior staff on employment legislation, best practice and policy and procedures in relation to HR matters including recruitment and selection, remuneration, terms and conditions of service, disciplinary and capability (performance and health) cases, grievance, redundancy liaising with senior colleagues where appropriate.
- Be responsible for updating and helping to enforce the College’s HR policies
- Implement and oversee recruitment exercises including arranging advertising/ headhunters etc
- Line-manage and be assisted in the delivery of transactional, reporting and implementation tasks by a part-time Accounts Manager and work closely with the Academic Registrar and Head of Income Generation
- Provide high-level general executive support for the CEO eg following up to ensure delegated operational tasks are delivered
You will be an experienced finance and HR professional, ideally from higher education, a research institute or charity with the following essential and desirable skills and experience:
- Demonstrable experience of success in a similar financial management role
- Experience of effective use and development of finance systems and reporting tools
- Can-do attitude with a hands-on approach and the ability to drive and manage change
- Excellent interpersonal and organisational skills
- Understanding of strategic financial planning
- Ability to think strategically and translate financial information into practical reality
- Strong understanding of employment legislation.
- Strong multi-disciplinary HR expertise including compensation and benefits, talent and performance management, employee relations, employment law, policy development and diversity.
- Ability to advise managers and employees ranging from simple to complex issues.
- Professional training / HR development / education qualifications in relevant subject
- Experience at manager level and have a proven track record in core HR competencies and exposure to the associated risks.
- Good degree
- Qualified with a recognised Accounting Body (CIMA, ICAEW, ACCA, CIPFA or equivalent)
- Experience of working in a Charity and with Charity Trustees
- Experience of line management of staff
Closing date to submit applications: Monday 26 July at 0930
To apply, please click 'Apply'
Interviews to be scheduled in the week commencing 2 August. Please indicate in your application if you will be away for all or some of this week.
Pre- employment Checks: Please note that any Employment with the College will be subject to the following checks prior to your start date:
• receipt of two satisfactory references
• proof of eligibility to work in the UK
Unfortunately, due to the large volume of applications expected, we are unable to provide feedback on unsuccessful applications. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.