4 days left
- CIPD Membership
- CIPD Member
Menter a Busnes is the leading economic development company in Wales. We are an independent, not for profit company, which leads the way to ensure continuous economic development in Wales by supporting individuals, groups and small to medium enterprises across the country to establish and grow, through our bespoke business support programmes.
As well as developing business support programmes and services on behalf of Welsh Government and other national and regional organisations, our commercial arm, Mabis, delivers specialist business support and growth services. We have a committed team of 130 staff with extensive knowledge in a number of sectors and business areas, and our priority is to go the extra mile to deliver services to the highest possible standard.
We have offices in the following locations, however as the company is currently working under restrictions due to covid-19, the majority of our staff are working from home or a combination of home and office temporarily:
- Aberystwyth (head office)
- St. Asaph
Since establishing the company in 1989, Menter a Busnes has gone from strength to strength, with an exciting period of significant growth over the past 5 years.
The company’s team of directors includes the Chief Executive, two Development Directors, Finance Director, as well as the Operations Director. In addition, we have a Board of talented non-executive directors whom provide strong strategic support to the team of directors. To support the
company’s continued growth, we are currently reviewing our resources at Director level, with the view to strengthen the team in-line with our strategic priorities. Depending on the outcome of this process, the responsibilities of this role may be subject to slight amendments.
This is a unique opportunity for a dynamic and creative individual to join our successful and progressive company as Operations Director, responsible for leading and developing our HR, IT and Health, Safety and Wellbeing teams, along with other corporate responsibilities in-line with their professional area of expertise.
In-line with our values, at Menter a Busnes we aim to create a friendly work environment that is honest, responsible and healthy, and that shows the utmost respect to staff and customers. We take steps to develop a more diverse workforce and especially encourage applicants from under-represented groups, including black and minority ethnic (BAME), disabled people and people from the LGBTQ+ community under the positive action rules as outlined in the Equality Act 2010. We follow the principles of open competition and staff are appointed based on their merits.
We support the health and wellbeing of our staff by offering a number of interventions and services. To encourage a healthy work-life balance, we also offer flexible working arrangements which includes a range of different work patterns.
Aim of the Role
Provide visionary and innovative leadership for the HR, IT and Health, Safety and Wellbeing functions, as well as play a key role in the development of Menter a Busnes as a whole.
- Work with the team of directors to ensure the effective day to day management of Menter a Busnes within the company’s governance structure
- Develop and implement integrated strategies and operational plans that support the company's core values and long-term objectives
- Provide engaging and streamlined leadership to the HR, IT and Health, Safety and Wellbeing teams, including ensuring effective people management and development plans are in place to develop a positive team culture and encourage excellent performance
- Support colleagues at all levels to facilitate personal performance improvement, team productivity, emotional resilience and organisational change
- Oversee the effective and efficient development and operation of the company's technical systems and procedures, with an emphasis on reliable and secure performance, and high-quality service and support for staff, in-line with Cyber Essentials Plus
- Ensure the development and implementation of effective and intuitive IT and Health, Safety and Wellbeing policies and procedures in-line with relevant legislation, standards and good practice, and monitor their effectiveness
- Co-create programmes and initiatives to improve Health, Safety and Wellbeing, including enabling managers to develop wellbeing facilitation skills to improve wellbeing behaviours across their teams
- Lead on organisational change projects, advising on implications to minimise legal and operational risks to the company, whilst promoting positive staff engagement, including TUPE (transfer in/out) and redundancy/redeployment processes resulting from securing or ending business contracts
- Provide adaptive and credible direction and expertise in relation to the development of employment policies and procedures, and proactive and reactive case management support on complex and difficult employment situations
- Partner with managers to plan talent identification management and development and ensure that the right staff with the right skills are where they need to be
- Design and commission learning and development programmes that meet staff needs and align with company objectives
- Collaborate with corporate marketing to design employer branding campaigns aimed at attracting the best job candidates
- Provide clear direction on all aspects of equality, diversity and inclusion with the aim of identifying and eliminating inequalities in both employment and the services offered by the company, in-line with C2E (Committed to Equality)
- Partner with the Finance Director to set and monitor budgets effectively, ensuring that budgets are spent effectively, and achieving value for money
- Deliver elements of the company’s professional business consultancy service (branded as ‘Mabis’) to a diverse portfolio of clients across all sectors, in a specialist area(s) such as HR, IT and/or Health, Safety and Wellbeing
- Grow, maintain and leverage professional networks with a range of appropriate national, regional and local organisations to identify potential new business opportunities
- Promptly respond to requests for tenders, proposals and quotations from current or potential external clients, coordinating with internal colleagues to collate data and evidence to formulate responses as required
- Effectively use information systems to analyse data to better inform decision-making, providing accurate and timely bilingual reports for the Board, management team and staff as required
- Facilitate the company in maintaining excellent standards of quality management, environmental sustainability, data security and equality and diversity, including managing the following accreditations and quality frameworks:
- UKAS ISO 9001 Quality Management
- BS 8555 Environmental Management
- Cyber Essentials Plus
- C2E (Committed to Equality)
- Work closely with the Data Protection Officer to monitor the company’s compliance with GDPR and internal data protection procedures
- Act as a proactive ambassador on behalf of Menter a Busnes and accept other duties and responsibilities as required
- Degree or equivalent in a business-related subject
- Professional qualification in business-related subject, at level 5 or above, or equivalent
- Experience of providing strategic leadership and direction at a senior leadership level in an organisation that provides complex services
- Experience of providing credible professional HR and/or IT advice and support at senior level, including managing organisational change projects
- Extensive experience of people management and development, including leading teams across wide geographical area
- Significant experience of developing, negotiating and delivering organisational policies and procedures
- Commitment to operate in-line with the values of the company
- Expertise in HR
- Strong knowledge and understanding of Employment Legislation, with the ability to provide pragmatic advice in complex and difficult employment situations
- Sound understanding of cybersecurity, Health and Safety, financial management and procurement matters, the principles of risk management and data protection
- Proven leadership skills, setting high performance standards, and empowering colleagues
- Demonstrable innovative and strategic thinking skills, with the ability to solve complex problems and make difficult and timely decisions for the benefit of the company and/or the service
- Self-motivated and flexible person, who is able to adapt and respond positively to change and work effectively and quickly under pressure
- Communication, negotiation and influencing skills of the highest standard in both Welsh and English, with the ability to confidently and skilfully deliver presentations and public speaking to a variety of audiences, including staff, in both languages
- Comprehensive skills in terms of preparing statistical reports and information for performance monitoring purposes
- Strong commitment to promote equality, diversity, linguistic rights and inclusion
- Excellent bilingual communication skills (Welsh/English), both oral and written
- Excellent IT skills
- Current driving license and the use of a vehicle for business purposes
- Chartered Member CIPD or committed to reach Chartered Membership within an agreed timeframe
- NEBOSH National General Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety or equivalent
- Experience of securing new business by establishing partnerships and responding to requests for tenders, proposals and quotations
For an informal discussion regarding this role, please contact Alun Jones on 07779 306816 / firstname.lastname@example.org.
Making an Application
Interviews The assessment process for this role will be held on Wednesday, 4 August (remotely), and Thursday, 5 August (in person in Aberystwyth) 2021. If these dates are inconvenient, please note so in your application form.
The closing date for applications is: 10.00am, Wednesday, 28 July 2021.
Equality and Diversity Policy
Please see our website for our Equality and Diversity Policy.
Apply for Operations Director
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly