Deputy Director HR Strategic Command
The role sits within the Resources & Policy Directorate in Strategic Command. Deputy Director HR works jointly to the Director Resources & Policy (Ian Gibson), and the Principal Personnel Officer (Lieutenant General Rob Magowan). Working in close collaboration with the Deputy Directors for Finance and Plans, the purpose of this role is to develop a coherent People Strategy and deliver affordable workforce plans which support the outputs and strategic ambition of the Command.
UK Strategic Command provides the foundation and supporting framework for successful operations by ensuring joint enabling capabilities, such as medical services, intelligence, information systems, defence education and cyber operations, are developed and fielded. We also provide the command and control for the UK’s overseas defence operations.
The strategic workforce planning, management and development of our ‘Whole Force’ of over 24,000 servicemen and women, civilians and contractors are a critical part of the Command – our people are at the heart of everything we do. This ensures a broad and dynamic portfolio with an exceptionally broad base of stakeholders and employees – from Whitehall to the Falklands – enabling an experience you’re unlikely to find elsewhere.
UKStratCom’s HQ is an exciting place to work, in which the People Team holds a critical role in developing a workforce that is sustainable, productive and fulfilled in order to achieve our Command objectives.
The post holder has the following main responsibilities;
- Leading the UK Strategic Command People team.
- Delivery of the Command's People Strategy.
- Leading the design and delivery of Unified Career Management.
- Delivering over £700m/10 of programmed workforce efficiencies.
- Leadership of people governance and Trade Union relations.
- Leading the design and delivery of the people component of the Cyber domain, pan Defence.
As the DD HR for the Command, you will be responsible for delivering the right mix of capable and motivated people, that appropriately represent the breadth of the society we exist to defend, now and in the future. The post-holder is wholly accountable for the use of resources within the People function. They will be expected to make decisions in relation to the delivery of workforce plans and strategy which will be ratified by the UKStratCom Board.
The post holder is expected to demonstrate sound judgement in delivering strategic advice, which will require the post-holder to deal sensitively with stakeholders across the whole of Defence. This activity will have a widely felt impact across the whole Department, delivering far-reaching business changes which will affect the whole force.
To deliver results, the post holder will need to persuade and negotiate with the Senior level Directors and above across both UKStratCom, delivery agents and partners across Government.
The successful candidate must be able to demonstrate their experience and skills against the following criteria:
- Proven leadership and management credentials, vision, strategic thinking and HR knowledge and experience.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrable experience of managing key senior relationships, internally and externally in a complex environment.
- Extensive senior experience in a range of HR functions.
- Experience in leading or driving change within a complex environment from a people perspective and manging associated risk.
- A proven track record of influencing and communicating across a wide range of stakeholder, especially at Board/Executive level.
- MCIPD qualified (or circa 10 years plus experience in HR with circa 5 years plus in a HR Leadership role) with several years’ progressive post qualification experience.
- Learning and development tailored to your role.
- An environment with flexible working options.
- A culture encouraging inclusion and diversity.
- A Civil Service pension.
Apply before 11:55 pm on Friday 30th July 2021.