Careers4Change is delighted to be working with Big Society Capital on this exceptional role as Senior Director of People and Talent. Big Society Capital is the leading financial institution dedicated to social impact investing in the UK. The organisation exists to improve the lives of people in the UK through investment with a sustainable return.
Following the launch of Big Society Capital’s brand new 2025 strategy to scale social impact investment and improve peoples’ lives in the UK, they are seeking an energetic, creative and collaborative new Senior Director of People and Talent. The ideal candidate will be people oriented, with a desire to see talent develop and grow, have exceptional judgement and a track record of providing strategic HR advice and guidance at executive level.
You will work closely with the Chief Executive and Executive Team and Board to develop and shape a robust People and Talent strategy, resourcing plans and people policies. You will deliver effective people processes and policies, ensuring we are following HR best practice at all times.This will include developing, leading and executing our talent acquisition and retention strategy, succession planning, compensation strategy and performance management -with particular focus on developing a longer-term strategic approach to talent acquisition and retention.. Using workforce data and intelligence, you will build insights and provide strategic recommendations to inform key decisions. Crucially, the Senior Director of People and Talent will develop an organisational structure and collaborative partnering approach that champions business effectiveness and cohesion.
As a member of Big Society Capital’s senior management team, ExCo+, you will play a key influencing role in wider strategic decision making and business transformation across the organisation.
- Working with the Executive Committee (ExCo) and Line Managers to develop and influence our succession, retention and talent management strategy, ensuring that BSC recruits and retains the best and most diverse talent and deploys people and resources effectively.
- Developing, communicating and implementing a comprehensive People Strategy which meets the needs of Big Society Capital in the short, medium and long term.
- Supporting the Equality, Diversity & Inclusion working group and CEO in the implementation of our Equality, Diversity & Inclusion plan; leading related HR projects and initiatives.
- Providing leadership support and coaching to the CEO, ExCo and the Board on People and Talent strategic issues ensuring that BSC’s People strategy is fit for purpose, reflects best practice and helps develop the desired culture of the organisation. Ensure these groups are aware of people practices and challenges across the business and are given the opportunity to provide input and direction as appropriate.
- Leading company-wide Culture initiatives and ensuring that company culture remains an agenda priority at all levels. Provide support across the business to encourage everyone to live our values through their behaviours. Ensure our Employee Engagement programme is of value, both in what it assesses and how the results are used, working with ExCo and staff to respond to feedback.
- Advising on, and liaising with line managers, Exco, CEO to make sure that employee practices are fair and consistent, and BSC’s reputation and interests are protected at all times. Manage Employee Relations issues as required.
- Working with the Head of Legal and Compliance Manager support ongoing compliance requirements, in particular the ongoing work in embedding the SMCR Conduct rules into our processes and culture.
- Leading the People and Talent team ensuring that all HR operational requirements including work on Hybrid Working, Mental Health and Wellbeing initiatives are undertaken effectively and, in a client focussed manner.
- Support the provision of payroll and employee benefits services as required.
- Building external relationships and contributing to sector wide HR and Talent Forums in order to share best practice and develop sector wide approaches to People and Talent management and development.
Skills & Experience:
The Senior Director of People and Talent will demonstrate a strong track record of excellence in developing and successfully implementing creative, long-term strategic people, talent acquisition and retention strategies. You will also demonstrate a proven track record of delivering generalist HR practices, change management and organisational structure design.
- Strong demonstrable experience of working in a strategic People & Talent/HR capacity
- CIPD qualfied
- Experience in providing HR advice at senior executive or board level
- Good knowledge of HR policy and practice and of employment law
- Experience of working for a charity or social enterprise – either as an employee, volunteer or trustee
- Experience of working in financial services or similar regulated environment
Skills, Abilities & Attributes
- Passion for our mission to improve lives in the UK through social investment
- Resilient - able to deal with complexity, ambiguity and uncertainty
- Innovative, creative and strategic approach to problem solving
- A confident and effective communicator when writing and speaking
- Organised self-starter - able to prioritise, plan ahead, be proactive and work under own initiative
- Supportive manager - able to get the best out of people, and act as a coach and mentor to your immediate and wider team
- Relationship management – excellent interpersonal skills and able to build collaborative relationships at all levels, solving problems in an open and empathetic way
- Collegial team player - Flexible and willing to work with and contribute to a team.
- Ability to influence effectively at the highest level, managing diverse internal and external stakeholders with enthusiasm and confidence
- Acts with discretion, ensuring confidentiality at all times
- Focuses on customer satisfaction and delivers a quality service with a high level of attention to detail, ensuring accuracy in your work and others
- Approachable, flexible and helpful
- Responds decisively in difficult and changing circumstances - ability to be assertive and to hold the ground when necessary
SALARY AND TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
Contract: This is a full-time, permanent role - open to flexible working or job-share options
Location: We are a UK-based business with an office in the Chancery Lane area of London, accessible to a number of public transport links. Our current approach allows colleagues to spend 40% - 60% of their working hours in the office, and the remainder from home. We hope that this working pattern encourages Big Society Capital employees to achieve a healthy balance between work and personal goals, as we continue to adapt to the changing needs of our diverse workforce.
Salary: - £75,500 – £82,750 (depending on experience)
Equality, Diversity and Inclusion: Big Society Capital is committed to being a diverse organisation that is truly representative of the communities we serve. We are an equal opportunities employer with an inclusive environment where all employees can contribute to their fullest potential. We want every colleague to be able to deliver their work with dignity, equality, comfort and independence.
Our office is fully accessible with step-free access and an open-plan set up. We are open to accommodation requests regarding assistive technologies, accessibility tools, flexible working or any other reasonable adjustments that will make working or visiting here more accessible for you.
If you have a disability and require any support to assist you through the recruitment process, please get in touch with Ruth Davidson (HR Manager) at rdavidson@bigsocietycapital. com.
Right to Work in the UK: for candidates who require a visa to work in the UK, we consider sponsoring applications