Harrogate, North Yorkshire
Yorkshire Cancer Research is the largest independent cancer charity in England. With an ambitious goal of saving 2000 lives a year, it is an exciting time to be joining the charity. Every week in Yorkshire almost 600 people are told they have cancer, by working for Yorkshire Cancer Research you are helping to protect and save these lives.
Yorkshire is big, beautiful and diverse and, as an inclusive employer, our aim is that our workforce reflects the rich diversity of our region. We believe a diverse workforce is central to us achieving our strategic goal of saving more lives in our region. We offer equal opportunities regardless of race, religion or belief, age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, marriage and civil partnerships.
Yorkshire Cancer Research is entering an exciting period in its development. As part of this we are expanding our team at our Head Office and a number of new roles are being created. As such, we are now looking for a People Manager to join the People Team.
As a People Manager, you will act as the Charity’s ‘Go To’ person for generalist HR advice and support, whilst simultaneously contributing to the delivery of the People Plan and the strategic aims of the Charity through HR projects focused on improving the employee journey.
Reporting to the Head of People and leading a small HR team, the People Manager will work with employees and line managers to provide support on all HR policy matters, compliance and legislation.
Specifically, you will:
- Implement quality improvements in management practices across the Charity
- Analyse employee data and metrics, reporting trends and flagging cases of concern to the Head of People.
- Develop and deliver management training on a variety of HR topics to improve compliance, knowledge and competence.
- Monitor the HR Information System, ensuring that full capability of the system is utilised, line managers are accurately recording information and acting in accordance with relevant policies when required.
- Work in partnership with line managers to advise, coach and support them in the application of HR policies and procedures on all people management / HR related matters.
- Chair the HR Values Group.
- Take the lead on projects and workstreams that contribute towards the Charity’s People Plan.
- Lead, coach and develop direct reports, role modelling the internal PDR approach.
- Review and update all HR policies and procedures in line with the review calendar, ensuring that changes in employment law are accurately reflected and communicated.
To be considered for this role, you will need:
- Significant relevant HR experience gained at manager level.
- To be educated to degree level or equivalent and hold a CIPD Qualification at Level 5 or above.
- Evidence of continued professional development relevant to the role purpose and level.
- Strong up-to-date knowledge of UK employment law, GDPR and experience in employee relations including disciplinary, grievance and change management.
- An ability to build, manage and develop strong stakeholder relationships at all levels.
- To be a confident, clear communicator comfortable delivering presentations.
- Experience of developing and implementing action / people plans to include analysing training needs and designing and delivering learning interventions.
- To be highly self-motivated and able to work autonomously, take initiative and make decisions.
- An ability to deal effectively with challenging and sensitive interpersonal situations.
We offer all our employees a wide range of benefits including an enhanced contributory pension scheme, 25 days annual leave plus Bank Holidays (increasing to 30 days after 5 years’ service), flexible working arrangements, private medical insurance, enhanced maternity leave, career progression, learning and development, wellbeing initiatives, offices within walking distance of Harrogate train station, free onsite parking and a whole lot more.
We’ve got a strong set of values that inform everything we do and we’re looking for people who are aligned with these. As our People Manager, you will strive for excellence in everything you do, have integrity, champion expertise through improvement and innovation and be a great team player. To find out more about our values and how important they are to us, please click here.
To apply, please submit a CV and covering letter outlining your suitability for the role to Claire Wooldridge, People Partner (email@example.com) before Sunday 5th December.
Before applying, please view the full role profile, read our privacy notice and visit our Careers Page to find out more about working for Yorkshire Cancer Research.
The charity is a responsible and flexible employer. We welcome any discussion for flexible working at interview/offer stage where we will consider an individual’s circumstances against the needs of the charity.
We positively encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates from all backgrounds. If we can make any reasonable adjustments to support your application please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call the People Team on 01423 642803.