Head of HR Operations
Location - Portishead, Police Headquarters- BS20 8QJ
Salary - £61,203 per annum
Please note, if this is a paid role and the role is part time then the salary quoted will be pro rata based on the hours worked per annum.
Hours per week - 37
Closing date - 20/05/2022, 23:55
Are you a people champion?
We are looking for someone who cares about how people are supported within the organisation, about how we can free up all those working for us to give their best in their roles and who ultimately wants to see outstanding policing for the public we serve. We want our organisational values, inclusive, caring, learning and courageous to be at the heart of the way we deliver HR and we know just how important it is that we remain open to change in how we do things.
We want the successful candidate to help shape how HR Operations looks going forward and to manage our teams through a period of unprecedented change and exciting transition as we support the organisation through moving to new ways of blended working, responding to cultural challenges for policing, massive uplift in police recruitment, making our organisation representative of the communities we serve, introducing a new ERP system and considering what an exceptional HR and People service looks like for 21st Century policing.
Everyone who works for us, is in some way supporting and serving the community we represent, we simply could not deliver effective policing for the public without them.
We are now recruiting for an HR Operations Manager. You will make sure that our people approach and processes are fit for purpose, supporting individuals and line managers, often through critical decisions and far reaching projects as well as the critical teams of payroll and resources supporting the smooth running of Avon and Somerset Police.
In this role, your main responsibilities will be:
- Building trusted relationships with senior stakeholders and leaders across the business.
- Provide HR Business Partnering on the design and implementation of key HR projects and initiatives.
- Provide day-to-day leadership to drive the delivery of the business's HR plans.
- Assist in building strong talent pipeline and contributing to the organisations uplift in officers.
- Support on organisational structure and change, high level employee relations.
- Use your skills and knowledge to make an impact in key areas such as change management, employee relations, employee engagement and talent analytics.
Skills, experience and qualifications required:
- Proven track record of success in a partnering position, supporting a business through people change such as department/organisational restructure, TUPE or other substantial change.
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels of the business, especially with the senior leadership team across the organisation and regionally.
- Experience of talent development and reward.
- Strong leadership skills to support in the day-to-day operations of the business.
- Ability to offer sound and considered advice through coaching.
- Work closely with the senior leadership teams to deliver and implement new programmes and initiatives. Experience of thinking strategically is a must as well as the ability to operationally deliver.
- MCIPD qualified or relevant HR experience
What we can offer:
- A hybrid working model – this is a blended role where 60% of your time will be spent working from home.
- Local Government Pension Scheme
- Initially 26 days annual leave allowance, plus bank holidays
- Flexible working
- Professional development opportunities
To be eligible to apply for this role you must have a 5 year ‘checkable history’ in the UK – ideally this means that you would have been resident in the UK for the last 5 years.
To apply please visit https://asp.tal.net/vx/appcentre-External/brand-0/candidate/so/pm/6/pl/24/opp/3123-Head-of-HR-Operations/en-GB
Blended Working/ Hybrid Working
Avon and Somerset Police encourage flexible working where operationally possible.
This role has been identified as a blended role.
The successful candidate for this role will have the opportunity to work from home whilst also at a secondary work location, which will be a police premises. The successful applicant will have the option to discuss working arrangements with their line manager. For more information please see attached the blended working principles. All applicants must reside within the UK.
Under the provisions of the Local Government and Housing Act 1989 this post is politically restricted. In order to avoid any potential conflict of interest, a politically restricted post prevents an individual from having any active political role either in or outside the workplace
They are also restricted from canvassing on behalf of a political party or a person who is or seeks to be a candidate, and speaking to the public at large or publishing any written or artistic work that could give the impression that they are advocating support for a political party.
We are looking for people who share our values of caring, inclusive, courageous and learning.
To find out more about our Inclusive Culture
To enable us to deliver outstanding policing for everyone, we need people from all backgrounds with a range of professional and life experiences so that we are truly representative of our communities.
Why work for Avon and Somerset Police?
Avon and Somerset Police has gained a reputation as a pioneering and innovative force, responsible for policing a large diverse, multi-cultural population.
If you are looking for a fresh challenge which offers a genuine opportunity to make a real difference to people’s lives, variety and the chance to broaden your experience, then Avon and Somerset is the force for you.
Equality, diversity and inclusion
Avon and Somerset Police are committed to equality, diversity and inclusion.
We are working hard to increase diversity and inclusion within the Constabulary, where communities are under-represented, including those from Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) communities, people of all ages, abilities, faiths, religions and gender, LGBT communities and those from other disadvantaged or marginalised backgrounds, who share our values and wish to make a difference to the communities we serve.
All applications will be treated on merit, based on the evidence provided in your application and suitability for the role you have applied for.
All requests for flexible working patterns will be considered and will be dependent on the role.
Recruitment and Selection Policy
Internal applicants who are at risk of redundancy or in need of redeployment and pass the selection process, will be offered the role over the remaining internal and external applicants.
Police Barred and Advisory lists
Individuals placed on the Police Barred and Advisory lists will not be considered for employment by the police for a minimum of 5 years from the date of listing in the case of gross misconduct, or 3 years from the date of listing in the case of poor performance.
Vetting and safeguarding
Avon and Somerset Police are committed to safeguarding and operate safer recruitment processes, to ensure a police service that employees are proud to work for because they feel safe, valued and part of a happy and supportive work environment. All employees and volunteers therefore will be subject to background checks including vetting and references.