To lead the site L&D department to ensure all employees have received relevant training to the highest standard to achieve business success.
Working within the busy HR and L&D function at Cranswick Convenience Foods Milton Keynes, the L&D Manager will lead the L&D team to ensure that we provide ‘gold standard’ training interventions on site. This will ensure that we give staff the skills they need to complete their role and progress their career, always remain legally compliant, promote a culture of safety on site, and develop leadership programmes to facilitate excellent talent management to meet our site strategic goals.
Reporting to the HR Manager they will be required to ensure that the L&D department complies with legal and ethical standards and meets the auditable requirements, whilst creating an engaging and empowered atmosphere for their team.
Responsibilities of the role
- Lead the L&D Team to ensure excellent training services to the site.
- Accountable for the building and delivering of the L&D site plan every year.
- Line management of the L&D Specialist and L&D Assessors.
- Lead the talent management process and outputs on site.
- The L&D Specialist and the L&D Manager will design and deliver line manager soft skills training on site – this includes topics such as Conducting an Investigation, Talent Mgt, Absence, etc.
- Provide personal development interventions by providing coaching and 1-1 support for senior team members and specialist roles.
- Part of Cranswick Core steering group, the L&D Manager will influence the evolution of the Cranswick Core system across the business.
- Build new specialist training as required by site activity.
- Schedule group led training such as FLM, MDP, LDP.
- Track NCRs requiring L&D interventions and ensure that they are closed in a timely manner.
- Ensure that all systems are fully maintained and updated by the team, and that data generated from the department is accurate.
- Lead the internal and external audit requirements for the L&D team (SMETA / EV / BRC and PIU) to ensure compliance across the business.
- Deputise for the HR Manager in their absence.
- Complete any other reasonable tasks as required for business needs.
Desired skills and experience
- Experience of working in a senior L&D role, preferably within chilled FMCG sector.
- Experience of building and delivering L&D interventions such as procedural training, management soft skills, talent management, etc.
- Experience of delivering L&D projects using blended methodologies.
- Experience of conducting training needs analysis and successful delivery of subsequent training plan.
- Good knowledge of L&D frameworks and industry trends.
- IT literate, able to work confidently with Microsoft Office (e-mail, Word, Excel, etc).
- Able to work to deadlines within a fast-paced environment and with a varied workload.
- Any second languages – particularly an Eastern European language – would be advantageous but not essential.
- Ideally CIPD qualified.
Behavioural requirements for the role
- Acts as a positive role model for others, with a genuine passion for HR practices.
- Able to build and explain a strong vision for the L&D team to follow.
- Presents a professional company image through personal conduct and appearance.
- Able to work independently and with minimal supervision.
- A strong team player who can motivate and inspire their team.
- Takes a positive stance towards problem solving – working on own initiative or by seeking professional advice to resolve.
- Actively participates in personal development for themselves and their team; keeping up to date with the latest industry and employment law changes.
- Creative in their approach to problem solving and seeks and acts upon feedback.
All colleagues are always required to adhere to the Safety and Training standards on site, and when representing the company in their roles.
Site Culture and Ethos:
At Cranswick Milton Keynes we have 3 goals we are striving to achieve together. We want to be the largest sliced cooked meat manufacturer in Europe, to be a Net Zero business, and to improve the living standards in our local community.
Our site values which we demonstrate every day are:
- We inspire and motivate
- We Take Ownership and Empower others
- We are respectful, we listen, and are open & honest
- We take time to learn from our mistakes & successes, and encourage feedback
- We will be better tomorrow than we are today.
Health, Safety & Environment:
You have a responsibility to ensure that you fully comply with the company policy on Health & safety and Environment In accordance with ISO 45001, ISO 14001 and ISO 50001 management systems in all aspects of your working environment. Liaising and supporting the health safety and sustainability manager and the management team
You have a duty of care to fellow colleagues within your area to work in a safe manner and as such your duties may include:
- Involvement in the Risk Assessment process to include the reduction of risk.
- Reporting any damaged or faulty equipment to the engineers and the management team
- Reporting and managing any unsafe activities
- Reporting and investigating accidents and near misses and implementing the corrective actions.
- Wearing the correct Personal Protective Equipment and clothing for the work being carried out
- Assuring that all the employees working in your area are complying with the management systems
You will be working in a food manufacturing area and are required by law to produce a safe and legal product. Cranswick have also entered into contracts with its customers and as such you are required to ensure the agreed quality expectations of the customer are matched or exceeded. For the company to meet these requirements you must follow all company policies and procedures to the letter, and follow any reasonable instructions given.
To undertake all relevant Operational, technical, health & Safety, environment and development training required by company policy and legal requirements.
To assist the supervision and management with the safe introduction and development of new colleagues to your area.
You have a responsibility to be open and receptive to all training required to fulfil your role within the company. The company commitment to training and development is included in your colleague handbook.