Post Reference: 2084
Academy: White Rose Academies Trust, based at Leeds City Academy
Job Title: HR Manager
Grade: PO4/5 (£39,571 to £45,648)
Hours: 37 Hours per week, all year round
Accountable to: Senior HR Business Partner / Trust Business Director & Interim CFO
The White Rose Academies Trust is a Leeds-based multi-academy trust with a reputation for raising ambitions, engaging local communities and rapid school improvement.
The trust consists of three secondary schools - Leeds City Academy, Leeds East Academy and Leeds West Academy, and also welcomed its first primary school (Alder Tree Primary Academy) on 1st December 2020.
We believe the trust is a highly desirable place of work for an ambitious professional, who will be joining one of the most supportive and talented teams in the country.
As HR Manager, you will play a pivotal role in further establishing and maintaining a culture of positive people relations that is exemplary both within and across the trust and in each of our constituent academies.
Through skilled leadership you will establish high quality working relationships with colleagues, together you will ensure that our trust and academies are providing a quality HR service. Enthusiasm, tact and a hands-on approach to problem solving and getting things done are also fundamental to this role.
In your role as HR Manager you will work closely with the senior leadership teams across the academies to help build organisational and people capabilities, and to shape and implement effective HR strategies and programmes.
Supporting the Trust Business Director & Interim CFO and Senior HR Business Partner, you will lead the on key HR responsibilities, ensuring effective and robust processes and practice. You will collaborate with others to secure the achievement of the strategic priorities.
Duties and Responsibilities
Provide strategic support for all aspects of HR, maintaining oversight of the development and implementation of HR policies and processes across all academies to ensure they are legally compliant and meet our statutory responsibilities.
• Present on HR matters, take forward the equality, diversity and inclusion agenda and update Senior Leadership Teams on changing trends, new legislation and new initiatives
• Ensure all administrative processes related to the HR function, including recruitment, selection, appointments, resignations and changes to terms and conditions of employment are efficient and of a high standard
• Produce accurate and timely management information as required by the Executive Leadership Team and Trustees to drive effective business strategies
• Use HR metrics and data to drive HR strategies impacting on wellbeing, retention, recruitment and employee satisfaction
• Analyse HR data in order to prepare statistics and advise leadership on appropriate HR decisions to improve organisational performance
• Develop and implement new initiatives to help the organisation be an employer of choice
• Manage complex HR queries from colleagues, line managers, and senior leaders, liaising with our HR service partners to resolve complex issues where required
• Lead on and manage complex employee relations casework (including but not limited to dispute resolutions, disciplinary actions, grievances, absences, flexible working, retirement and redundancy) liaising with legal advisors and trade unions as appropriate
• Liaise with Principals in respect of all HR matters and provide advice and guidance regarding policies and terms and conditions of service
• Provide advice and guidance on all employment related queries for staff, including maternity / paternity leave entitlement, pensions, payroll, absence management, reward, wellbeing, etc.
• Coach, influence and train senior leaders in the adoption and use of effective leadership and management practices
• Review staff relation challenges and recommend appropriate responses to management
• Liaise with managers to identify and implement pragmatic solutions to people and business issues ensuring they are commercially viable as well as in line with employment law and HR best practice, and our values
• Be a credible source of knowledge and expertise, providing added value to academies in a calm and structured approach
• Lead on service improvement work by reviewing all existing processes, creating work instructions in order to support peer development and understanding
• Create and review HR documentation ensuring they remain compliant in terms of changes in employment law and adhering to best practice
• Develop and implement academy HR policies, procedures and practices in accordance with statutory legal requirements and ensuring the WRAT implement best practice
• Run restructures and reorganisation exercises as required by Senior Leadership Teams across all academies
• Ensure all recruitment documents and processes meet the current legislation regarding equality and diversity
• Ensure the trust adheres to all requirements of the Safer Recruitment practices, Keeping Children Safe in Education, and Asylum and Immigration requirements including right to work checks
• Lead on internal audits of all transactions with HR involvement, including but not limited to; finance, safeguarding, and asylum and immigration requirements, providing comprehensive feedback to academies and implementing improvements to processes where required
• Create and lead on robust recruitment and onboarding processes for ad-hoc processes, including placements, volunteers, ITT trainees and apprentices, delivering a high quality experience for all parties
• Create and update templates and operational procedures for all HR related tasks, ready to support the Trusts ambitions for expansion
• Complete national statistical returns and all Government returns in relation to personnel data; including school workforce returns where appropriate
• Comply with policies and procedures relating to child protection, health & safety, confidentiality, data protection and freedom of information and report all concerns to the appropriate person
• Co-ordinate job advertisements liaising with media, maximising effectiveness and monitoring success; ensuring all advertising and recruitment costs are authorised by Principal and increased staffing budgets authorised by the Trust Business Director
• Ensure the necessary procedures and processes are followed in formal Grievance and Disciplinary cases, and that written records of meetings and copies of all supporting documentation are retained for future reference
White Rose Academies Trust is a local trust dedicated to raising and fulfilling the ambitions of young people. Our academies throughout Leeds are at the heart of the communities they serve, which is why we are committed to delivering an outstanding education to every one of our students.
The trust employs over 500 outstanding professionals who are committed to unlocking the potential of the next generation. Our CPD Programme is focused on innovation, leadership development and delivery of excellence for vulnerable groups. Our Beginner Teacher Programme is amongst the best in the region. We are on a significant journey which will see all of our schools Ofsted rated as World Class within five years.
White Rose Academies Trust is a member of Luminate Education Group, other members include Harrogate College, Keighley College, Leeds City College and Leeds Conservatoire. The Group provides expertise, international networks, and highly desirable employability prospects within education and beyond.
Closing date: Thursday 7th July 2022, 9am
To apply, please click the apply button.
White Rose Academies Trust is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of its students and expects all staff and volunteers to share the commitment. Appointments will be subject to Safer Recruitment Procedures and an enhanced DBS check.
Please note this role will involve contact with children and you will be engaging in regulated activity. It is an offence to apply for the role if you are barred from engaging in regulated activity relevant to children.
We promote diversity and want a workforce which reflects the population of Leeds. Applications are welcome from all, irrespective of sex, sexuality, race, religion, marital status, age or disability.