THE RAIL SAFETY AND STANDARDS BOARD
The Rail Safety and Standards Board is the independent safety, standards and research body for Great Britain’s rail network. We work across Britain’s evolving railway to improve safety, efficiency, and sustainability.
To help our members keep Britain moving with safer, smarter rail.
Formed in the aftermath of the Ladbroke Grove rail crash, we have been supporting Britain’s rail sector for over 20 years.
We make sure that industry knowledge gaps are addressed, and we work collaboratively with an evolving industry to ensure that innovative and sustainable technology is operated safely, efficiently and cost-effectively. We codify and share best practice, both in Britain and abroad.
We are proudly impartial, and home to some of rail’s leading experts on technical matters. Guided by facts and analysis, we help to bridge knowledge gaps, optimise use of the latest technology and disseminate and systemise industry best practice.
Why it matters
Over the last few decades, the railway has grown considerably. But now we need to take it even further: efficiently increasing the mobility of people and goods, while reducing carbon emissions, pollution and gridlock on the roads. Unlocking the railway’s full potential is a massive technical challenge. Doing it safely, sustainably and efficiently is an even bigger one.
With so many businesses and organisations contributing to an increasingly dynamic system, our skills and experience in collaborating with operators and innovators, co-ordinating research and development, and codifying technical knowledge will be crucial for the rail network. With the help of the industry, we ensure that its users enjoy the benefits of rail for decades to come.
Helping us all work smarter, as well as safer.
What we value
- Our customers
Our primary objectives
We have six strategic business areas to support rail organisations with the wider challenges and changes facing the industry:
- Safer Rail
- Healthier Rail
- Harmonised Rail
- Efficient Rail
- Future Rail
- Sustainable Rail
We are an independent body, working with our members to drive improvements in the GB rail system. Through research, standards, analysis and insight, RSSB drives improvements in health and wellbeing, and in delivering a safer, more efficient and sustainable rail system.
Working at RSSB offers an exciting opportunity to significantly impact the rail industry in numerous ways. Our effectiveness is dependent on collaboration across a wide range of specialities.
Benefits of working with us
We value our people and offer a competitive benefits package to ensure colleagues can achieve their best throughout their journey with us.
In return for your expertise, passion, and commitment we offer:
- Private health and dental care
- 30 days’ annual leave (plus bank holidays) and flexible holiday buying and selling options
- A generous defined contribution pension scheme
- Volunteer leave
- A performance related annual bonus
- Annual travel subsidy and season ticket loan on travel
- An opportunity to participate in a number of internal social events including Payday Breakfast, book club, running club, and annual staff socials
- A cycle to work scheme
- Smart working. We understand the importance of a healthy work-life balance and we offer our staff the flexibility to work within our core hours and the option to split their location equally between both the office and home. If you are looking for further flexibility, speak to us at interview stage so that we can consider your request.