Founded in 2011, the International NGO Safety Organisation (INSO) is an international non-governmental organisation that supports humanitarian aid workers by establishing safety coordination platforms in insecure contexts. INSO provides registered NGOs with a range of free services, including real-time incident tracking, analytical reports, safety-related data and mapping, crisis management support, staff orientations and training.
INSO provides daily support to more than 1200 NGOs operating in 16 of the world’s most insecure countries.
INSO is registered in the Netherlands with its headquarters based in The Hague, the international city of peace and justice.
As the Director of Human Resources (HRD), you shape strategic policy and support worldwide organisational development as well as offer hands-on operational support to field program teams. You lead all HR functions to support the effective delivery of our mission and affirm INSO as a great place to work. You supervise the HR team at HQ with dotted-line management to HR managers in each country office. You will join the Senior Management Team (SMT) and report to the Executive Director.
Ideally, you are a senior Human Resources professional in the humanitarian sector looking to take on more responsibility in a creative and dynamic setting with global impact.
This position is based in the Hague, Netherlands with occasional travel to the field.
- Lead the development and implementation of HR strategy.
- Recruit, manage and mentor the HR team.
- Lead the annual planning process and manage the departmental budget.
- Further develop the global and local HR policy environments and related procedures.
- Respond to audits and strengthen compliance with statutes, regulators & donors.
- Strengthen daily operational HR management in all offices, sites, and projects.
- Provide a responsive business partnership to all programs, departments, and stakeholders.
- Lead and supervise HR related risk management and duty of care initiatives.
- Manage internal systems for safeguarding, dispute resolution, grievance, and employee relations.
- Maintain an attractive and equitable compensation and benefits package.
- Oversee employee lifecycle management.
- Supervise administrative and technical systems such as HRIS, payroll, insurance and staff records.
- Establish, monitor and report on key performance and progress indicators at staff, executive and Trustee level.
- Support wider organisational development as a member of the SMT.
- Model and promote organisational principles, culture, and ethics.
This is a high-level and challenging role for the most experienced professionals. Please explain how you meet the requirements in your cover letter:
- Masters (MSc/MA) level education, ideally in Human Resources Management or related field.
- At least 10 years in HR management in a humanitarian or development setting.
- At least 3 years in a senior leadership role.
- Demonstrable and extensive experience in:
- Policy, Strategy and Contracting
- Compliance, Risk Management & Duty of Care
- Safeguarding and Employee Relations
- Compensation & Benefits
- Recruitment & HRIS
- Change management
- Experience as part of a Senior Management Team.
- Experience leading and supporting teams across multiple countries.
- High level of emotional intelligence and strong interpersonal skills.
- Fluent written and spoken English.
- Willing to travel to the field occasionally.
Nice to have
- Existing knowledge of INSO and our mission.
- SHRM, HRCI, HRPA member and associated technical qualifications.
- Proficiency in French or Arabic.
- Project management experience and/ or qualification.
- Course design and delivery.
INSO’s Safeguarding Policy
INSO is fully committed to safe recruitment, selection and vetting of all potential new staff, trustees and volunteers and we will ensure rigorous compliance with our Code of Conduct and Safeguarding policy throughout the recruitment process.
Terms & Conditions
Fixed-term (renewable) full-time contract based in The Hague, Netherlands, EUR 8000 per month, 8% vacation pay (vakantiegeld), 2.5 days annual leave per month. It is a Dutch contract based on Dutch social security and taxation rules. We provide basic premium ONVZ health insurance to you and your dependents. This position is eligible for a Highly Skilled Migrant visa and relocation allowance.
How to apply
Please submit applications to firstname.lastname@example.org and reference ‘HR Director’ in the subject line. Applications should be in English and include:
- An updated CV.
- A one-page cover letter detailing why you are interested in working for INSO and how your qualifications align specifically with the competencies required for the role.
Please do not send any additional information. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.