Pay grade: P02
Pay scale level: 29-32
Hours: 37 per week - term time only + 15 training days
Hours of work: 7.45am- 4.15pm Mon-Thurs. 7.45am- 3.45pm Fri includes 1-hour lunch
Responsible to: Head Teacher
Welcome to our school,
Broomfield SILC is a generic special school for pupils aged 2 to 19 years with 3 sites: our main site and 2 partnership sites at Windmill Primary and Rodillian Secondary. The SILC is based in the South of Leeds and caters for a wide range of needs from moderate learning difficulties; severe learning difficulties; complex and multiple learning needs; Autism and social and emotional and mental health needs. Some students have additional needs – physical; medical; speech and language; visual, hearing or sensory impairment. We are a very popular choice for parents and carers and currently have 228 pupils on roll.
Broomfield secured a ‘Good’ Ofsted in March 2023 where inspectors commented that leaders have ‘high ambitions’ and ‘high aspirations for all pupils’ and that ‘staff are proud to work in our school’. I am very proud of our school community where staff are committed to supporting young people to fulfil their potential and prepare them fully for their future, particularly focusing on communication, independence, and emotional regulation.
We are looking for an experienced and knowledgeable HR Manager to work with the Senior Leadership Team and Governing body to provide strategic and operational HR for the SILC. You will need to be an excellent communicator, act with a high level of confidentiality and be resilient. The role will require you to work independently and as part of a team to provide solution focused advice and guidance that adheres to our LCC policies. The successful candidate will be professional, have excellent attention to detail and will manage challenging situations effectively. They will be able to use initiative to make frequent decisions thinking creatively and making recommendations based on policy and the needs of the school. They will be able to manage conflictive demands and will understand all HR processes to provide advice and guidance to all key stakeholders.
We can offer:
- A welcoming, caring school with supportive colleagues and parents
- A commitment to professional development
- A workplace that listens to all staff and values their skillset and contribution
We are looking for:
- Experience of working with senior management to shape and influence the delivery of school priorities in relation to HR Experience of building effective and collaborative relationships with all stakeholders to understand future challenges and deliver effective solutions
- Experience of producing reports and extracting data from various sources
- Experience of dealing with confidential and sensitive data and complying with GDPR guidelines
- A good standard of education and relevant qualifications (at least grade C or equivalent in Maths & English at GSCE level).
- Up to date knowledge of employment law and best practice, as well as relevant IT skills and a commitment to professional development.
- A high level of resilience A strong sense of teamwork and professional pride
- A positive, solution-focused approach
We promote diversity and want a workforce which reflects the population of Leeds. Applications are welcome from all, irrespective of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, and sexual orientation.
Safeguarding Recruitment Statement
The school is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. Appointments will be subject to an enhanced DBS disclosure.
Access: The Broomfield main site and our partnership sites have disabled access facilities, including a lift.
For further details and recruitment pack please contact Broomfield South SILC by email firstname.lastname@example.org visit our website; www.broomfieldschool.org.uk
or by telephoning Ruth Hall on 0113 2771603 ext. 208
Please note that Broomfield South SILC operates No Smoking or vaping policy
To provide strategic HR support and guidance in line with the Head teacher’s vision and in conjunction with the School Development Plan. The role will support the Senior Leadership Team and Governing Body and will be responsible for:
- Ensuring all strategic, operational and administrative HR functions are adhered to and in line LCC policies and procedures Ensuring all recruitment processes are in line with LCC guidelines and adhere to safer recruitment as outlined in KCSIE Supporting specific areas within school on a wide range of employment activities Be the first point of contact for HR related queries on a day to day basis including HR administration, recruitment, employee relations and providing advice to managers Deliver an exemplary, confidential HR service and enable a responsive, customer-focused provision that creates solutions to support managers with workforce planning and people management activity. To line manage staff ensuring schools HR policies, procedures and ethos are consistent across all sites
- First port of call for queries and provide appropriate advice on HR matters, policies and terms/conditions from staff/managers ensuring good practice and compliance in line with policy and legislation. To ensure that the most up-to-date version of HR policies & procedures are being followed and giving practical support in implementation (e.g. coaching managers or delivering briefing sessions/ staff induction). Analyse, forecast and prepare information to ensure developing issues are flagged up appropriately To safeguard & promote the welfare of pupils/students through own actions and effective management of staff resources, policies & procedures, and in line with local & national protocols and statutory requirements relating to safeguarding. To support with on-site staff and Trade Union communications. Work collaboratively and consultatively to ensure the provision proactively supports managers, employees and key stakeholders Utilise data effectively from a range of sources to identify emerging issues and provide solution focused action planning as appropriate to agree with SLT. Design and deliver cost effective workforce solutions and strategies that contribute to effective staff management and retention. Provide appropriate advice and guidance and manage the HR function to meet the needs of school.
- Employee relations case work (i.e. grievance, disciplinary, Inc. safeguarding, absence, capability / performance). The processes include organising hearings & case papers, note taking, drafting & issuing letters, conducting investigations, advising investigating officers / managers / panels at meetings / hearings. Absence Management -responsible for overseeing absence records and ensuring monitoring against absence indicators; maintaining contact with employees on long term sick, and arranging home visits / occupational health referrals / phased returns (along with admin). Conducting & reviewing staff risk assessments in line with LCC H&S guidance e.g. Wellbeing Action Support Plans, etc. HR investigations – conducting HR investigations robustly to share with SLT to decide an outcome.
- To lead and be responsible for recruitment adding value and improving the process, managing HR/ safer recruitment matters arising during these. This may include review of equalities, diversity and other data. Writing of adverts and posting on relevant recruitment sites ensuring they are accurate and in line with safer recruitment guidelines. Responsible for recruitment administration in its entirety (along with admin); and co-ordinate support required on interview day. To form part of interview panels, if required. Compilation of offer letters, pre-employment checks and completing necessary paperwork, ensuring adherence to the school’s Safer Recruitment Policy and in line with KCSIE. Ensuring that the induction process for new colleagues is effective and updated as required. Conduct exit interviews and feedback any information to the Head Teacher that could support retention. Provide the Governing Body and Leadership Teams with timely and accurate information to enable them to fulfil their responsibilities.
- Manage HR admin, taking responsibility for coordination, development and input of all HR processes and quality assuring these procedures.
- Undertake specific responsibilities relating to HR across the SILC – this may be by attending relevant management meetings and preparing HR related communications and/or training to staff as required. Monitor and support performance improvement and use a coaching approach to develop team members and maximise their contribution. Support staff to achieve their full potential, adapting your approach according to individual needs, whilst complying with the council's people management principles and policies. Coordinate activities involving HR or others across the school (where required), keeping track of all the elements even where the complexity means it takes several weeks or more to organise. lnclude contingencies that reduce the risk to people, budgets or the school’s reputation. To be responsible for and manage the personnel data administration for school Maintain staff data on the school’s MIS system (currently SIMS) Responsible for the completion and return of the statutory Workforce Census in line with guidance. Assist with volunteer and student placement paperwork. Ensure relevant personnel paperwork, e.g. contract changes, timesheets, LOA are processed efficiently Ensure that Business Support Centre Portal for school is maintained and uploaded Responsibility for the Single Central Record, working alongside the Business Manager regarding quality assurance
- To be participative in the wider school community – carrying out duties and tasks, as required.
- Keep abreast of current guidance, requirement and good practice.
- Develop good working relationships with all outside agencies and stakeholders.
- Present a positive personal image, contributing to a professional and welcoming school environment
- Comply with all school policies
- Contribute to the overall ethos/work/aims of the school
- Participate in training and other learning activities and performance development as required
- To undertake any other duties that are commensurate with the post
Any Special Conditions of Service:
There is a requirement to submit to an enhanced Criminal Records Bureau background check. There may be a need to occasionally work outside of school hours and off school premises, as required by the school. No smoking policy.
Broomfield SILC is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and we expect all staff to share this commitment. This post is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974; pre-employment checks will be carried out, references will be sought and successful candidates will be subject to an enhanced DBS check and other relevant checks with statutory bodies.